Diego Maradona celebrates his 56th birthday on Oct. 30, 2016. One of the greatest soccer players of all-time was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
In his professional club career, he has played for Argentinos Juniors, Boca Juniors, Napoli, Barcelona, Sevilla as well as Newell’s Old Boys. Maradona played in four FIFA World Cups, including the 1986 World Cup in Mexico where he captained his team and led the country to victory over West Germany in the final. He also won the Golden Ball as the tournament's best player.
Maradona became coach of Argentina in November 2008 following which he became in charge of the team at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa before leaving at the end of the tournament.
The player has also been tied to several controversies, including the one in 1991 when he was suspended for 15 months for failing drug test for using cocaine while in Italy. He was also not allowed to play in the 1994 World Cup that was held in the U.S. after testing positive for ephedrine.
Here are some inspirational quotes by the legend, courtesy of brainyquotes.
- You can say a lot of things about me, but you can never say I don't take risks.
- There would be no debate about who was the best footballer the world had ever seen — me or Pele. Everyone would say me.
- When you win, you don't get carried away. But if you go step by step, with confidence, you can go far.
- When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success.
- While the coach is entitled to celebrate the team's victories, there is a manner and a way of doing so without aggravating the opponent.
- God makes me play well. That is why I always make the sign of a cross when I walk out on to the pitch. I feel I would be betraying him if I didn't.
- When God decides its time, I guess he'll come for us.
- I am Maradona, who makes goals, who makes mistakes. I can take it all, I have shoulders big enough to fight with everybody.
- Things are neither clear nor clean in the world of football right now and many people recognise this reality.
- Many people agree with me that many things are not clear in football these days and it is not something people who watch football deserve. The situation will be the same while football is run by people who do not understand football.