An estimated 55.3 percent of Scottish voters -- over 2 million people -- rejected the call for independence, choosing to stay with the United Kingdom. The “Yes” campaign, on the other hand, garnered the support of 44.7 percent of eligible voters, or over 1.6 million people.

The referendum, held Thursday, witnessed an exceptionally high voter turnout with 84.6 percent of eligible voters casting their ballots. East Dunbartonshire, where 61.2 percent of the votes were cast against independence from the UK, saw a 91 percent voter turnout -- the highest among all the 32 councils.

Orkney, Shetland and Midlothian all rejected independence, as did the councils of Stirling, Falkirk, East Lothian, Angus, Dumfries and Galloway, Renfrewshire, East Renfrewshire and South Lanarkshire.

However, Glasgow -- Scotland's largest council area and the third largest city in Britain -- voted in favor of independence, with 53.4 percent, or nearly 194,000 people, favoring a separation from the UK.

Dundee City, West Dunbartonshire and North Lanarkshire also voted Yes.