|source: 2008 Home Buyer and Seller Profile|
- Ninety-three percent of home buyers reported that they financed their home purchase with a mortgage.
- Among younger buyers, the percentage was 98 percent, decreasing somewhat for buyers between 45 and 64 years old.
- Two-thirds of buyers 65 and older financed their home with a
mortgage, reflecting a significant share who used equity built up over
a number of years allowing them to forgo use of a mortgage.
- The percentage of first-time buyers who financed 100 percent of the
purchase price with a mortgage dropped to 34 percent from 45 percent
- Nearly half (46 percent) of home buyers reported they have made
some sacrifices such as reducing spending on luxury items,
entertainment or clothing in order to qualify for a mortgage.
- One-quarter of first-time buyers reported that the mortgage
application and approval process was somewhat more difficult than they
expected, and one-in-ten reported it was much more difficult than