A final inquest into the death of Amy Winehouse revealed that the singer died of acute alcohol poisoning after consuming enough booze to bring her blood alcohol level to five times the legal driving limit.
She had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416 mg per decilitre (of blood) and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death, coroner Suzanne Greenway told the Telegraph.
Winehouse's organs were reportedly in good health, and as previously reported, there were no illegal drugs in her system.
Winehouse, 27, was found dead by her security guard at her Camden townhouse on Saturday, July 23. An autopsy was inconclusive, and a toxicology test found alcohol in her system.
Toxicology results returned to the Winehouse family by authorities have confirmed that there were no illegal substances in Amy's system at the time of her death, a Winehouse family rep said in a press statement a month after Amy's death. Results indicate that alcohol was present but it cannot be determined as yet if it played a role in her death.
According to The Associated Press, Police Detective Inspector Les Newman, who visited Amy's home the day she died, told the inquest three empty vodka bottles were scattered around her bedroom -- two large and one small.
Amy's father, Mitch Winehouse, has insisted that drugs could not have played a role in his daughter's death, assuring friends and fans that she had long stopped abusing drugs and was working on cutting out drinking altogether.
Three years ago, Amy conquered her drug dependency, Mitch Winehouse said in the July eulogy for his daugher, which was excerpted in the Daily Mail. The doctors said it was impossible but she really did it. She was trying hard to deal with her drinking and had just completed 3 weeks of abstinence.
She said, 'Dad I've had enough, I can't stand the look on your and the family's faces anymore.'
Amy had seen Dr. Christina Romete the Friday evening before she died, and received a clean bill of health. Dr. Romete told the inquest Winehouse had begun drinking again in the days before she died, after an unspecified period of abstinence.
The doctor was happy with her condition, a source told The Sun. When he left on Friday night he had no concerns. Less than 24 hours later she was found dead.
Dr. Romete told the inquest that Winehouse was tipsy but calm at her last visit, according to The AP.
Winehouse had spoken to her security guard, Andrew Morris, at about 10 a.m. on the day she died, and told him she wanted to go to sleep. That is believed to be her last conversation.
When Morris went to wake her several hours later he found her dead.
The final verdict of the inquest was death my misadventure.