At least three people were found dead in the burned-out remains of former tennis star James Blake’s Florida home, according to reports.

Firefighters responded to a call at Blake’s home in Hillsborough County, Florida, at around 5:45 a.m. on Wednesday, the Tampa Tribune reports. Blake’s agent, Carlos Fleming, confirmed to the Associated Press that the 34-year-old was not home at the time of the fire. “He’s not in Florida, I can tell you 100 percent that he’s not in Florida,” Fleming said, via the New York Post.

So far, officials have been unable to make contact with Blake, the Tampa Tribune reports. He reportedly purchased the home for $1.5 million in 2005, but neighbors said that the house was being rented out to tenants.

Emergency crews found three bodies in the blaze, Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Cpl. Donna Luscynzski confirmed. The fire has mostly been contained, but certain areas of the home are still off-limits; according to Luscynzski, it “could be days” before the zone is safe enough for medical officials to identify the victims.

Officials have yet to determine the cause of the fire. “[The fire] is destroying potential evidence to tell us what may have happened, what may have led to this fire,” Luscynzski said, via Fox 13 in Tampa. Officials received reports of gunfire in the area, but said the sound could have emitted from ammunition within the house that was set off by the fire.

Meredyth Censullo, a former ABC TV reporter, reported additional, as-yet unconfirmed details regarding the fire at Blake’s home.


Blake, who was once the fourth-ranked tennis player in the world, retired from the sport in 2013, Deadspin notes. He finished his career with 10 singles titles.