The attorney for accused child molester Jerry Sandusky could consider seeking a plea deal as more and more victims come forward with allegations, according to a report.
The Harrisburg Patriot-News reported on Thursday that Sandusky's attorney Joe Amendola might have a conversation with his client about pleading guilty, as at least four new victims have come forward with child molestation allegations.
Sandusky has been charged with 40 counts of sexual assault and faces up to 360 years in prison, but could see those numbers increase as more victims go to authorities. Sandusky has maintained his innocence -- though did admit to showering with children in an interview with NBC -- but it might be worthwhile to take an available deal, according to his attorney.
That could happen if more allegations come forth and Jerry gets to the point where he realizes fighting against more than the original allegations might be a real uphill battle, Amendola said. Bottom line, Jerry has always maintained his innocence, from the first allegation, and continues to maintain innocence. What happens with any additional charges which may be filed remains to be seen.
Amendola told the newspaper that he has hired a private investigator as he begins his case preparations, specifically investigating claims that Penn State assistant Mike McQueary walked in on Sandusky raping a 10 year-old boy in 2002.
The attorney said that a man claiming to be Victim 2 in the Grand Jury report has come forward to him and said that McQueary's account is inaccurate. He says that supposed victim even dined with Sandusky and his wife last summer.
Furthermore, Amendola claims that Sandusky was quite surprised when he found out that McQueary was the eye-witness that saw the alleged crime. Sandusky has already told NBC's Bob Costas that he doesn't know why McQueary or anyone else would make up claims against him, but Amendola revealed that Sandusky has had a lot of contact with McQueary since the alleged incident in 2002.
What Jerry tells me is that he ran into McQueary on a regular basis both at Penn State practice and charity events, Amendola said.
In addition to new victims going to the authorities, Sandusky was also hit with his first civil lawsuit on Wednesday by a previously unnamed victim.
The accuser, who was not named in the Grand Jury report released by Pennsylvania's attorney general's office earlier his month, claims that he was molested more than 100 times by Sandusky from 1992 to 1996.
The victim, identified as John Doe in the lawsuit, is seeking upwards of $900,000 from Sandusky, Penn State University, and The Second Mile charity. The complaint alleges that Sandusky offered the boy gifts, trips, and other incentives while abusing him during that four-year period. It says that he was abused within the Penn State locker rooms and at times outside of state lines when Penn State traveled for football games.
The four years of abuse have caused the victim to suffer great pain of mind and body, shock, emotional distress, physical manifestations of emotional distress, embarrassment, loss of self-esteem, disgrace, humiliation, and loss of enjoyment of life.