Authorities released an official video Saturday of the fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, North Carolina, earlier this week. Scott, a 43-year-old black man, was killed Tuesday by a black officer who police say opened fire after Scott got out of a car with a firearm during a confrontation.
Police officials also released Saturday a photo of a gun they said Scott was holding when he was shot. In the video, you can hear officers calling for backup and handcuffs as they approach Scott after the shooting. "We need to hold the wound," an officer is heard saying in the video.
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory said he supported the Charlotte police chief's decision to release the tapes. "I have been assured by the State Bureau of Investigation that the release will have no material impact on the independent investigation since most of the known witnesses have been interviewed. We have appreciated the ongoing dialogue and team work between state and city officials to seek public transparency while protecting the integrity of the investigation and the rights of all parties involved in this case," he said in a statement Saturday.
The dashboard and body camera recordings can be seen below:
The official account of the shooting has been disputed by protesters angry with the recent rash of police killings of black Americans and by Scott's family members, who argue he didn't have a gun in his hand -- just a book. Scott's wife, Rakeyia Scott, released her own shaky cell phone video of the shooting Friday. In the clip, the woman orders the police to not shoot because her husband has no weapons and won't threaten them due to his "TBI" -- traumatic brain injury. The police can be heard telling Scott to "drop the gun" as the wife asks her husband to not "do it." An officer opens fire, and the video ends with Rakeyia Scott swearing that "he better not be f---ing dead" as she sees her husband's body on the ground.
Activists had demanded the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department make their recording of the incident public in order to clear up questions about what exactly happened before Scott was killed. Chief Kerr Putney told reporters earlier this week that he'd watched the official clips and didn't see "absolute, definitive visual evidence that would confirm that a person is pointing a gun," the Charlotte Observer reported.
Putney said at the time he didn't think the police department would distribute the video, especially given that a state law complicating the release of such videos is due to take effect next week. But on Saturday, amid growing pressure from sometimes-violent protests in Charlotte and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, rumors began to circulate that the force would publicize the footage after all.
"We must rebuild trust between police and minority communities," the Charlotte Observer wrote in a Wednesday editorial. "The videos, whatever they show, can help roll back the uncertainty that feeds mistrust."