The 138th annual Kentucky Derby will be run on Saturday at Churchill Downs in Louisville Kentucky. The race will feature only colts this year, and barring scratches, twenty will run on Sunday.
The post positions were announced on Wednesday, which firms up the betting lines and really opens the official start of speculation on who might win the race for the roses.
Post positions and odds:
1. Daddy Long Legs 30/1 2. Optimizer 50/1 3. Take Charge Indy 15/1 4. Union Rags 9/2 5. Dullahan 8/1 6. Bodemeister 4/1 7. Rousing Sermon 50/1 8. Creative Cause 12/1 9. Trinniberg 50/1 10. Daddy Knows Best 15/1 11. Alpha 15/1 12. Prospective 30/1 13. Went The Day Well 20/1 14. Hansen 10/1 15. Gemologist 6/1 16. El Padrino 20/1 17. Done Talking 50/1 18. Sabercat 30/1 19. I'll Have Another 12/1 20. Liaison 50/1
Bodemeister at 4/1 is the favorite over Union Rags at 9/2 and Gemologist at 6/1, but in the first race of the Triple Crown surprises can often happen. Horses like Optimizer at 50/1 and Hansen a pure white colt at 10/1 are making some noise as outsiders with lucrative odds.
The Derby's website tracks the odds in real time here for anyone seeking to place a .
TV Listing: The undercard of races at Churchill Downs will be on the NBC Sports Network from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, followed by a red carpet and pre-race show from 4-5. The 138th derby itself and all its associated coverage will happen from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- 2012 John Deere Classic Golf: Free Live Stream, Leaderboard, Where-to-Watch, Preview and Prediction for Saturday's Action
- New Orleans Saints News: Drew Brees Signs Record $100 Million Deal
- Dallas Cowboys News: Is DeMarco Murray the Key to the Playoffs?
- 2012 John Deere Classic Golf: Free Live Stream, Leaderboard, Where-to-Watch, Preview and Prediction for Friday's Action