A California man who operated a revenge porn website that published thousands of explicit photos without the subjects' consent, and then charged them money to take them down was sentenced to 18 years in prison Friday.

Kevin Bollaert, 28, of San Diego, was convicted in February on six counts of extortion and 21 counts of identity theft.

Bollaert operated a website -- ugotposted.com -- between December 2012 and September 2013, which hosted over 10,000 sexually explicit images, most of which featured women, that had been provided by jilted ex-partners or hackers without permission.

Unlike other so-called revenge porn websites, Bollaert required people who submitted photos to provide him with the subject's name, age, location and links to social media profiles.

He also operated another website -- changemyreputation.com -- which charged victims $350 to remove images from the web, AFP reported.

Victims told the court about the distress they suffered as a result of having their intimate photographs published. One woman said she received 400 messages on social media after the pictures were shown. She said she was forced to quit college and seek help in a mental hospital.

"It's been so traumatic," she said, according to the Los Angeles Times. "It's a daily struggle to get my life together."

Another victim, known only as Nicole, told the court: "I have a hard time acknowledging Mr. Bollaert as a human being. I can't get away from the devastation."

Bollaert's father apologized to his victims during the hearing, saying: "How sorry we are here today because of a shameful, stupid, inappropriate thing my son did. My heart goes out to all of you," CNN reported.

Bollaert did not speak during the sentencing hearing, but his parents asked the judge for leniency. Judge David Gill however, branded Bollaert's conduct "outrageous."

"Sitting behind a computer, committing what is essentially a cowardly and criminal act, will not shield predators from the law or jail," state Attorney General Kamala Harris told San Diego's CBS8. "We will continue to be vigilant and investigate and prosecute those who commit these deplorable acts."