North Korea's longtime leader, Kim Jong Il, died at age 69 from a heart attack according to state-owned TV stations. The communist country's Supreme Leader was known outside of North Korea as a dictator with unpredictable policies on economics, foreign relations and nuclear weapons.
Kim Jong Il's son, Kim Jong Un, has been named his father's successor though it is unclear how the country will transition following the death of the Dear Leader.
We collected ten quotes from Kim Jong Il on North Korean, communism, the internet and the United States to commemorate the leader's death and shed light on his policies in North Korea.
10. Great ideology creates great times.
9. A man who dreads trials and difficulties cannot become a revolutionary. If he is to become a revolutionary with an indomitable fighting spirit, he must be tempered in the arduous struggle from his youth. As the saying goes, early training means more than late earning.
8. Overall relations between the North and the South have developed in favor of national reconciliation, unity and reunification.
7. I'm an Internet expert too. It's all right to wire the industrial zone only, but there are many problems if other regions of the North are wired.
6. The liquidation of colonialism is a trend of the times which no force can hold back.
5. The revolution is carried out by means of one's thought, not through one's family background.
4. We oppose the reactionary policies of the U.S. government but we do not oppose the American people. We want to have many good friends in the United States.
3. Independence is an attribute of man, the social being; it should not be viewed as the development to perfection of a natural, biological attribute of living matter. This is, in essence, an evolutionary viewpoint. Of course, we do not deny evolutionism itself. Science has long established the fact that man is a product of ages of evolution. Man is a product of evolution, but not his independence. Independence is a social product. Independence is an attribute given to man by society, not nature; it is not a natural gift, but has been formed and developed socially and historically.
2. National defense is the sacred duty of the young and all other people.
1. I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.