Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain died 21 years ago Sunday in a suicide that is still considered suspicious by millions of fans. Seattle’s chief medical examiner determined Cobain, 27, shot himself in the head. The singer struggled with heroin addiction and had just been released from a rehab facility days earlier.
Cobain found it hard to live with the mounting pressures of fame and suffered from depression in the last years of his life. He also struggled with feelings of male inadequacy. Below is a list of 15 quotations of the Nirvana singer, found at BrainyQuote.
1. “I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.”
2. “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”
3. “If you die, you’re completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on. I’m not afraid of dying. Total peace after death, becoming someone else is the best hope I’ve got.”
4. “Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with your self-esteem. They’re no good at all.”
5. “If I wouldn’t have found Courtney, I probably would have carried on with a bisexual lifestyle."
6. “I never wanted to sing. I just wanted to play rhythm guitar -- hide in the back and just play.”
7. “I like to have strong opinions with nothing to back them up with besides my primal sincerity. I like sincerity. I lack sincerity.”
8. “I really miss being able to blend in with people.”
9. “I started being really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn’t.”
10. “I wanted to have the adoration of John Lennon, but have the anonymity of Ringo Starr. I didn’t want to be a frontman.”
12. “Rap music is the only vital form of music introduced since punk rock.”
13. “When I listen to ‘Nevermind,’ I hate the production, but there’s something about it that almost makes me cry at times.”
14. “I bought a gun and chose drugs instead.”
15. “I definitely feel closer to the feminine side of the human being than I do the male -- or the American idea of what a male is supposed to be. Just watch a beer commercial and you’ll see what I mean.”
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella