Labor Day is about more than barbecues and the beach. It’s also a great chance to take advantage of sales on stores’ summer merchandise as they attempt to clear the shelves before fall. Outdoor furniture, sports gear, lawn mowers, swimsuits, laptops and mattresses are among the best items to buy on Labor Day, according to DealNews.
This year, NerdWallet recommends staying at home instead of going to stores. You should check your favorite stores’ social media to make sure you see all of their discounts -- and do so early. Many retailers offer pre-Labor Day promotions with sweet sales.
1. On Amazon, you can take 20 percent off already discounted clothing with the promo code LABORDAY20. Lighting and magazines (up to 90 percent off!) are on sale as well.
2. On Overstock, you can get up to 70 percent off certain items, including garden and patio supplies, bedding, rugs and furniture.
3. On American Eagle’s website, take 40 percent extra off of clearance items. Jeans aren’t included, but they’re buy one, get one 50 percent off.
4. Old Navy’s Labor of Love sale has discounted everything in the store. Get up to 60 percent off, and try the code ENJOY to get 30 percent off women’s clothes. Remember: Shipping is free on all orders over $50.
5. Zumiez is offering a BOGO deal on certain men’s and women’s styles, with shoes and hoodies buy one, get one 50 percent off.
I can guarantee that my bank account will be dry after this weekend bc Labor Day weekend sales.. _
— a⃝l⃝e⃝x⃝i⃝s⃝ (@alexiiism) September 3, 2015
Labor Day sales is all I'm concerned about.
— no. (@CaliGood_) September 3, 2015
6. Take an extra 25 percent off Williams-Sonoma clearance items with the promo code SUMMER. Plus, use the code SHIP4FREE to get free shipping on orders over $49.
7. Sears is offering 40 percent off appliances like refrigerators, washing machines and vacuum cleaners.
8. Bedding, home decor, curtains and furniture are between 30 and 50 percent off at JC Penney.
9. On eBay, kitchen essentials -- think blenders and mixers -- are up to 40 percent off with free shipping. So are power tools, bedding, lawn mowers and outdoor furniture.
10. Nordstorm’s end of summer clearance sale allows you to get women’s, men’s and kids’ clothing up to 40 percent off. Nordstrom also offers free shipping and free returns.
11. Macy’s is offering free shipping on orders over $75 plus an extra 25 percent off with the promo code DEALS.
12. Get 30 percent off some tees and tanks at Forever 21 . Then pick up some bath and skincare products -- they’re three for $10.
13. Get up to 60 percent off official U.S. Soccer merchandise, including polos, jerseys and pants.
14. Find discounted tents, clothing and other camping gear at REI, which is offering up to 30 percent off certain items. Use the code OUT20 for even more savings.
15. At HH Greg, use the code LABORDAY to get $50 off appliances between $499 and $1,498.99, $100 off purchases between $1,499 and $2,998.99, and $200 off purchases over $2,999.
16. Best Buy is discounting electronics like iPad Air tablets, HDTVs and Lenovo laptops by up to 60 percent, and it’s giving free shipping on orders over $35.
17. Newegg has put more than 100 tech items, including peripherals and core components, on sale up to 80 percent off.
18. Score some shades up to 50 percent off at Sunglass Hut with the code LABORDAY15.
19. Buy clothes and shoes for 25 percent off online at Target, and stop by a store to get the same discount on bedding and rugs. Use the code LABORDAY for an extra 10 percent off.
20. GuitarCenter is offering flash deals with discounts up to 70 percent off instruments -- think guitars and trumpets -- as well as gear -- like microphone cables.