The star-studded adaptation of "Les Miserables" has grossed an impressive $39 million since its Christmas day release. Now the film's soundtrack is climbing the Billboard charts: "Les Miserables: Highlights From the Motion Picture" currently holds the No. 1 spot on the soundtracks chart, selling 43,000 copies so far.Songs like Anne Hathaway's harrowing rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" could make the album one of the most successful movie soundtracks ever to be released.Here's a look back at some of the best-selling film soundtracks of all time.
5. TitanicIt's no surprise that soundtrack to one of the highest-grossing films of all time proved to be a massive hit. Released in 1997, the "Titanic" score has sold more than 10 million copies, according to Billboard. The album earned two Academy Awards, including one for the powerhouse ballad "My Heart Will Go On."
4. Dirty DancingThe 1987 film "Dirty Dancing" is not only a classic but also has one of the most beloved soundtracks of all time. The album's eclectic tunes, ranging from rock to rhythm and blues, include "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" and "In the Still of the Night." According to Submeg, the multiplatinum release has sold about 11 million copies.
3. Purple RainThe acclaimed soundtrack to the 1984 film "Purple Rain" also was the sixth studio album by Prince. With Amazon.com reporting it sold about 13 million units, the release features such notable tracks as "When Doves Cry" and "Lets Go Crazy." The album won two Grammy Awards and an Oscar for best original song score.
2. Saturday Night FeverArguably the album that defined the 1970s, the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack has sold a whopping 15 million copies, according to Amazon.com. Songs such as "How Deep Is Your Love," "If I Can't Have You," and "Stayin' Alive" had the legendary compilation atop the Billboard charts for much of 1977.
1. The BodyguardWhitney Houston's powerful ballads "I Have Nothing" and "Run to You" were each nominated for the Academy Award for best original song, helping make "The Bodyguard" soundtrack a chart topper in 1992 and '93. The album has sold about 17 million copies to date, according to Submeg.
A graduate of the NYU Media and Communications program, Justine has studied film and journalism in...