Liverpool are believed to be pursuing a short-term deal for Shanghai Shenhua striker Didier Drogba when the Chinese Super League ends next week. The Sunday People claims that the big-spending Chinese club could decide to rip up the former Chelsea striker’s contract, making him a free agent. Liverpool could then sign him on an initial two-month deal with the option of a longer contract.

There have been reports that uncertainty in the ownership of Shanghai Shenhua could lead to the club being unable to pay Drogba’s reported £250,000-a-week wages. The People alleges that there is also a break clause in the deal.

Liverpool have been desperate for striking reinforcements ever since failing to land a forward on the final day of the transfer window. That need has only be exasperated by a long-term injury suffered to Fabio Borini earlier this month.

The Daily Mail has a different take on the Drogba story, suggesting that Liverpool are interested in a two- month loan. However, according to the report, the Reds could be thwarted by the difficulty in registering a player outside the transfer window as well as contractual problems.

Regardless of any move for Drogba, it appears highly likely that Liverpool will sign a striker on a permanent deal in January. Manager Brendan Rodgers is now said to have turned his attentions toward Newcastle’s Papiss Cisse, according to the Daily Mirror.

After a prolific run following his £9 million move from Freiburg back in January, Cisse has struggled to recapture that form this season. The Senegal international has even been left out of the starting lineup for Newcastle’s last two league games.

The 26-year-old may well be out of Liverpool’s price range, however, given Newcastle owner Mike Ashley’s propensity for driving a hard bargain.

Another forward option Liverpool could pursue is Hamburg’s Heung-Min Son. The South Korean has scored five goals in nine league matches this season, but his future has been called into doubt with his contract due to expire in the summer of 2014.

Liverpool are one of the clubs said to be interested in the 20-year-old, who has said that there have yet to be any talks over a new deal with the Bundesliga side.

"I am yet unaware if I am to sign a new deal with Hamburger SV this winter,” he revealed, according to Sky Sports.

"Still there is no doubt I am very happy about the circumstance of being a player of Hamburger SV. I like the club and I love the fans as much as they love me."

In other transfer news, Liverpool are looking to get a deal done for Ajax youngster Christian Eriksen in January, according to TalkSport.

The 20-year-old Denmark international is thought to have been on the radar of many of Europe’s top clubs for some time. Reports in Italy believe that Liverpool could face competition from Milan.

Speculation over Eriksen’s future is nothing new, however, and it remains likely that he will stay in Amsterdam until at least the end of the season.