Having made Mario Balotelli their ninth, and most high-profile, signing of a busy transfer window a week ago, Liverpool look unlikely to be among the busiest clubs on deadline day. Yet some activity could be on the way. Following on from Rodgers’ comments on Sunday, much of the speculation surrounds those potentially leaving Anfield. “Players will mostly be going out rather than coming in,” he said, reports BBC Sport. "Maybe one more will come in. A few boys have been told they aren't going to get much game time so they have been given that respect early on to help themselves find a club.”

There has long been a deal in place to take Fabio Borini to Sunderland, where he spent last season on loan. While the Italian forward has stalled over the transfer, the arrival of Balotelli and seeing his prospects of first-team action dwindle further is likely to see his exit confirmed on Monday. “Fabio’s situation is clear,” Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said, according to the London Evening Standard. “For him, it’s best to move on and get playing regularly.”

Sunderland may not be his destination, however. Queens Park Rangers are also thought to have been in touch, while there are rumors, too, about interest from Italian giants Inter Milan. There will be at least one player moving from Anfield to the Stadium of Light, though. Center-back Sebastian Coates is on the verge of completing a season-long loan to Sunderland.

There may be a more surprising departure, with midfielder Lucas Leiva also being linked with a move away. The Brazilian has started just once this season and was not even in the squad for Liverpool’s last two matches.  After being blighted by injuries in recent season, has been pushed further down the pecking order by the arrival of Emre Can, among others. The Guardian has reported that Napoli and Galatasaray have offered loan deals and Rodgers has not ruled out the 27-year-old leaving. “Lucas is a very important member of our squad and he is unfortunate not to be in,” he said after the 3-0 win over Tottenham on Sunday. “I've not had anything through about him leaving but we will see how the next few days go."

In terms of the “One player” who could arrive, it seems likely to be someone to provide competition for Simon Mignolet in goal. Reports in Italy suggest the man who helped Argentina to the World Cup final, Sergio Romero, is a target. Romero spent last season on loan at Monaco, but barely featured, and is now back at Sampdoria. Seemingly more likely, though, is a move for former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdés. The 32-year-old is currently without a club after leaving the Camp Nou, but is still recovering from a serious knee injury. His free-agent status means that he could join Liverpool after the closing of the transfer window and ESPN reports that it is an option those at Anfield are eager to explore. Liverpool have a vacancy among their goalkeepers following the sale of Pepe Reina to Bayern Munich earlier in the summer.