Scotland Yard said it has rejected a bid by a radical Islamic group to protest the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton outside of Westminster Abbey.
The Islamic organization, Muslims Against Crusades (MAC), has launched many protests in Britain against the presence of foreign troops in Afghanistan.
On its website, MAC cited that William himself has fought in Afghanistan.
“Britain's continued interference in Muslim lands is showing no signs of abating; the plundering of resources, the murdering of innocent [Muslim] men, women and children and the forced indoctrination of the satanic democratic creed have become hallmarks of a brutal regime led by a very brutal dictator,” the group stated.
“In the backdrop of all this, we find that one of the biggest advocates of British imperialism, Flight Lieutenant Prince William, wishes to enjoy an extravagant wedding ceremony, ironically at the expense of the taxpayer. [William’s] direct involvement with the murderous British military and eagerness to inherit the reigns of a kingdom built on blood and colonialism clearly demonstrate what type of legacy he wishes to leave.”
MAC also issued warnings that western troops must depart Afghanistan.
The English Defence League, an anti-Islamic nationalist group, had vowed to hold a counter- demonstration in the event the radical Muslims were granted approval for the protest.
London Metropolitan officers are reportedly conferring on whether other potential protesters may also be prevented.
However, there is great worry about terrorists using the wedding as an excuse for an attack. About 5,000 police officers will be on duty on the wedding day. London police have already started searching central London (the parade route) for explosives and bombs.
Aside from the Royal Family, about fifth foreign heads of state will attend the wedding, not to mention thousands of ordinary people along the parade route, raising a logistic nightmare for security.
A London police official stated that sixty people presently on bail from prison will be banned for Westminster on the wedding day.
Criminal activity will be dealt with quickly, robustly and decisively so that it's a happy event for everybody else who intends to be there, the official said.
However, according to BBC is not aware of any specific terrorist threat on the wedding, so it would not have to use anti-terrorism stop-and-search powers.
Earlier this month, Anjem Choudary, a spokesman for Islam4UK, a radical British-based Islamic group, said a terror attack was “highly likely” during the Royal wedding and asked Muslims to stay clear of Westminster Abbey on April 29, describing the church as “a prime target'”
All Muslims should stay away from the public gatherings like the Royal wedding and the Olympics because there is a very high likelihood of an attack,” he said.
Prime targets most probably would be public gatherings like that, so I think Muslims in general should stay away to avoid injury. Maybe when the priest says ‘is there anyone who objects to this wedding speak now or forever hold your tongue’ - who knows what will happen at that time? If my brothers decide to use the opportunity when the world is looking at the Royal Family to pass a message so that we can avoid more deaths of innocent men, women and children in Afghanistan, that should be applauded. Prince William has been on military duty in Afghanistan, as well as his brother. I believe that the Queen and her children are supportive of the war in Afghanistan, which translates to us as a war against Muslims.