Here’s some good news for kids to tell their parents: It’s possible to overdose on Brussels sprouts, BBC News reported.

After a Scottish man consumed too many of the leafy greens last Christmas, he had a problem with his mechanical heart and had to be hospitalized.

The case was recently published in an Australian medical journal, apparently marking the first time that a person had overdosed on Brussels sprouts.

The traditional Christmas veggie contains a lot of vitamin K, which promotes blood clotting, BBC News said.

Even though leafy greens like Brussels sprouts are healthy in most cases, they counteracted the effect of anticoagulants being taken by the man with the mechanical heart.

Doctors at the Golden Jubilee Hospital in Clydebank, outside Glagow, ultimately realized that eating too many of the sprouts was to blame for the sudden heart trouble he experienced. 

BBC News quoted Dr. Roy Gardner, consultant cardiologist, as saying, "Patients who are taking anticoagulants are generally advised not to eat too many green leafy vegetables, as they are full of vitamin K, which antagonize the action of this vital medication."

Golden Jubilee Hospital CEO Jill Young added, "Whilst we think this is possibly the first-ever festive admission to hospital caused by the consumption of Brussels sprouts, we were delighted that we were able to stabilize his levels."

Brussels sprouts constitute a good source of vitamin C, folate, thiamine, iron, and phosphorus, as well as vitamin K, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.