The future of Wayne Rooney remains in the balance with Manchester United already linked to replacements for the forward.
David Moyes will get little time to settle into his new job as Manchester United manager with the future of forward Wayne Rooney firmly in the balance.
Rooney was left out of the squad for Sir Alex Ferguson’s final game in charge of United at Old Trafford, on Sunday, with the outgoing manager claiming that the 27-year-old “was not keen to play” after asking for a transfer in recent weeks.
That request was rejected by Ferguson, but he admits that the player’s future is now out of his hands.
“It's not my decision now,” he told the BBC.
"I think he should go away and think it over again.”
"He wasn't happy about being taken off a few times this season but a Wayne Rooney in top form wouldn't be taken off,” Ferguson added.
"He wants to think it through, which is a good idea."
It remains to be seen how Moyes’s appointment will impact Rooney’s future. The man who gave Rooney his first taste of first-team action at Everton took legal action against the player due to claims made in Rooney’s autobiography. The two have since made amends, however.
It certainly appears to be a crossroads for Rooney. This summer he will have just two years remaining on his contract and United are unlikely to be prepared to match the close to £300,000-a-week deal that was agreed when Rooney threatened to leave Old Trafford at the end of 2010.
The Guardian reports that Moyes, whose contract with United doesn’t start until July 1, will begin planning for the season ahead after the final game of the current campaign on Sunday. Sorting out the future of Rooney is believed to be his first objective.
There has been plenty of speculation as to where Rooney could move if he does leave United with Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich and Chelsea all said to be interested.
Potential replacements for Rooney have also been ventured. The Sun claims that Manchester United will use the money from Rooney’s sale to fund a move for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema.
The France international has previously revealed that United have repeatedly tried to lure him to Old Trafford since his days at Lyon prior to his £30 million move to Madrid in 2009. The Sun now believes that United will offer Madrid the chance to recoup that fee in full for the 25-year-old.
With manager Jose Mourinho set to depart the Bernabeu , it is sure to be a summer of some upheaval at Madrid and Benzema has failed to match his performances of last season, scoring just 10 goals in La Liga this campaign.
Another potential replacement for Rooney was thought to be prolific Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao. Spanish publication Marca has previously reported that United were in pole position to sign the in-demand Colombia international.
However, stories in recent days, originally coming from Spanish TV station La Sexta, assert that Falcao is close to sealing a shock transfer to Monaco.
The club, which is bankrolled by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, only sealed a return to Ligue 1 at the weekend, yet they are believed to have matched Falcao’s €60 million (£50.75m) release clause. There have even been reports on Monday that the former Porto striker has been in Monaco to finalize the deal.
In other surprise speculation, the London Evening Standard reports that Manchester United have already contacted Barcelona about trying to sign midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
The 26-year-old left Arsenal for the Camp Nou in a £35 million deal in 2011, but has struggled to fully integrate into the Barcelona side. It is said that the Catalans would be willing to listen to offers in excess of £20 million for Fabregas.
Any move could be complicated, however, by the fact that Arsenal are believed to have first option to buy back Fabregas should he be made available.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.