There continues to be much talk of how Manchester United will look to put right the disappointments of David Moyes’s first transfer window in charge, with several big names linked with moves to Old Trafford. Once again Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski has been discussed as a potential signing.
In the lead up to Poland’s World Cup qualifier with England this week, Lewandowski denied that he has already agreed to join Bayern Munich on a free transfer next summer, as he appeared to recently suggest. The 25-year-old had been on United’s radar for some time before Bayern became front-runners for his signature. While Dortmund refused to let him leave this summer, it is widely expected that he will make the move when his contract expires at the end of the season. Lewandowski, though, claims nothing has been finalized.
“I will be able to sign a contract in January, but I have never said that I will sign a contract with Bayern,” he said. "It was a misunderstanding.
Lewandowski also went onto say that he has had discussions with former United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and would like to play in England in the future.
“It is true I had the opportunity to speak with Sir Alex Ferguson [last year], but we didn't mention the transfer,” he explained to The Telegraph. “One day I would like to play in the Premier League. It would be a great experience."
While the comments have been jumped upon, it is likely that Lewandowski was just paying lip service to the press while he was in England. A move to Bayern still appears all-but certain. Further speculation that appears wide of the mark comes in Manchester United again being linked with a move for Barcelona’s Andres Iniesta.
The Spanish midfield great is currently in discussions over a new contract and the Daily Express believes that both United and City will take advantage of a delay in the negotiations. While Iniesta and Barcelona are currently thought to be some way apart in their positions, it is hard to imagine the 29-year-old leaving the Camp Nou. Indeed, Iniesta’s own latest comments state that he expects to end his career with Barcelona.
"You have to be where you want to be, and Barca is the place for me," he told Movistar's website. “The club knows that and wants me to stay, so I hope and expect to spend the years I have left playing there."
Iniesta is not the only Spanish midfielder to be linked to United in recent days, with the club also said to be keen on Atletico Madrid’s Koke. An exceptional passer of the ball, the 21-year-old already has six assists to his name in La Liga this season as Atletico has won its first eight matches. Moyes tried and failed to sign both Cesc Fabregas and Ander Herrera in the summer and the Daily Mail reports that he will move for Koke in January. The Spain international is believed to have a release clause of just over £16 million.
Meanwhile, there is talk that Manchester United could bolster their midfield by bringing back one of their former fledglings. Ravel Morrison was touted as one of United’s best prospects in recent years before his attitude and misdemeanors off the field led to Ferguson cutting him adrift by selling him to West Ham in January 2012. The 20-year-old appears to finally be starting to fulfill his talent, though, having scored two goals at the start of this season. And West Ham manager Sam Allardyce now fears that United could bring him back to Old Trafford as well as somewhat bizarrely saying that he is unaware if a buy-back clause exists.
“I don’t know if there is a buy-back clause and what that figure might be if it even exists,” he said, according to the Sunday People. “But my real big worry is that Manchester United will come back to buy him.
“Look at what happened when Chris Smalling played a handful of games for Fulham -- United jumped in with £10 million. Then there was Phil Jones when I was at Blackburn -- that’s what you are up against.”