Two days after his sensational four-goal demolition of Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski continues to be the subject of frenetic transfer speculation.
The 24-year-old’s agent has revealed that personal terms have been met with one club, but that an agreement has not yet been reached between the two clubs. It is believed that the team in question is Bayern Munich, which earlier this week it was revealed have signed Dortmund midfielder Mario Gotze.
The Daily Telegraph, though, reports that Manchester United could still be in the running for his signature with Lewandowski’s agent making his statement in an attempt to prompt moves from other interested parties.
United would be expected to be ahead of fellow Premier League suitors Chelsea and Manchester United given that the Premier League champions have trailed the Poland international since last summer.
Dortmund continue to claim that they are prepared to keep Lewandowski until his contract expires next year, but it is not hard to imagine that, if he is sold, they would much rather he move abroad rather than further strengthening rivals Bayern Munich.
As for Lewandowski, he is refusing to be drawn on his future.
"I will not comment on pure speculation,” he said, according to Sky Sports.
"The media write a lot about me, but that's just their duty. It's hard for me to say now what will happen when the season ends.
"I focus on the nearest game and then the second match with Real. We will see next what life brings."
Meanwhile, it doesn’t appear that Manchester United will be the next destination for Brazilian star Neymar. The Santos forward’s move to Europe has long been anticipated with virtually every leading club linked to the 21-year-old. There had been reports that United had a bid rejected in the closing stages of last summer’s transfer window.
A move to Barcelona has always appeared the likely outcome, though, and United defender Rafael also believes that his fellow-Brazilian will be heading to Spain.
"I wanted him to come to Manchester but I think it is difficult at this moment," he said, according to Manchester United’s official website. "I think he will choose Spain and perhaps this is the best option for him at Barcelona or Real Madrid. I think it is time for him to come to Europe."
A frequently cited United target has also again featured in the rumor mill in recent days. On the back of the club securing a 20th title on Monday, the Daily Mirror reported that manager Sir Alex Ferguson was set to spend big this summer with Everton’s Leighton Baines put forward as a leading target.
The left-back was frequently linked with a move to United as a long-term replacement for Patrice Evra last summer, but United eventually signed Alexander Buttner, with Baines believed to have proved overly expensive.
With the England international enjoying another fine season, he looks set to again be linked to United and other leading clubs during the close season.
United’s summer spending could be supplemented by the departures of some fringe players, not least Nani. The Portuguese winger will soon enter the final year of his contract and there appears little sign of an agreement being reached over a new deal following a season of inconsistency.
According to the Sun, Juventus are ready to offer Nani a three-year-contract on double his current wages if they can agree a £12 million fee.
“We are following this one up,” a Juventus source is quoted as saying by the Sun.
“Nani is an interesting player and figures highly in our future projects.”