The name of Inter Milan midfielder Wesley Sneijder has again been mentioned in connection with a possible transfer to Manchester United. The Netherlands international is reportedly unsettled with the Nerazzurri with the 28-year-old yet to be restored to the first team following a groin injury. Sneijder, 28, has also recently been banned from using Twitter.
According to Metro, the situation is being monitored by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson who could make a move for Sneijder in the January transfer window. Sneijder was thought to be close to a move to Old Trafford in the summer of 2011, but the player’s wage demands were cited as a cause for a break down in the deal.
Inter boss Andrea Stramaccioni has tried to play down talk of a rift with Sneijder.
"I have an excellent relationship with Wes, I know he can't wait to start playing again,” he said, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.
With the summer signing of Shinji Kagawa, who, like Sneijder, is at this best playing as an orthodox No. 10, it would be a surprise were United to rekindle their interest in the former Real Madrid man. Any deal would also require United to break with their policy of not committing large fees for players aged 26 or older. United, though, have shown that this could happen in exceptional circumstances as occurred with the signing of Robin van Persie in August.
A more realistic move for Sneijder could be to big-spending Russians Anzhi Makhachkala, who have again been touted as suitors by TalkSport.
Another reportedly long-standing Manchester United target is also back in the news. Christian Eriksen’s stalling over a new contract at Ajax has put Manchester United on alert, according to TalkSport. The 20-year-old attacking midfielder has long been seen as one of Europe’s top prospects.
With a contract that is currently set to expire in 2014, the time may soon be arriving for the Denmark international to make the move to one of Europe’s elite leagues.
"We would like Christian to sign a new contract with us, but it's not something he wants," Ajax director and former Arsenal winger Marc Overmars said, according to TalkSport.
"We will see what happens after this year. We speak with him and his agent and we will see what happens after December."
Overmars has also been discussing another Ajax youngster previously linked with a move to Manchester United. Viktor Fischer, 18, is already a Denmark Under-21 international and the forward is also said to be interesting Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid. The player’s stock has risen further after he scored twice on his full debut for the Amsterdam club on Sunday.
"We believe in him," Overmars told Sporten.dk. "Therefore, we are discussing with Fischer about an extension until 2016 at the moment.
"We want to keep him and we have noticed that he has a big potential."
In other news, Molde central defender Vegard Forren, who has previously been linked with Manchester United, has also been cited as a transfer target for Fulham and Everton by the Daily Mail.
The 24-year-old is managed by former United legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.