Manchester United Transfer News: Vucinic, Jagielka, Rodriguez And Begovic Discussed In Latest Speculation

 @JasonLeMiere
on May 14 2013 6:31 PM
David Moyes
David Moyes could reunite with several members of his Everton squad at Manchester United. Reuters

There continues to be much speculation as to the identities of newly appointed Manchester United manager David Moyes’s first signings at Old Trafford.

Several reports claim that Moyes will initially look to his still-current club Everton to strengthen the United squad. Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini have long been linked to the Red Devils, but now a new name has emerged in the form of defender Phil Jagielka.

“David loves Jags from top to bottom. He describes him as ‘absolute class,’” an Everton insider is reported to have said by the Sun.

“If there is one player from here he will come back for, it will be Jags.

“They get on great and David considers it a pleasure to work with him.”

According to the Sun, United could make a £10 million offer for the 30-year-old. The logic behind a transfer for the England international is that Rio Ferdinand has yet to sign a new contract to keep him at Old Trafford beyond this summer.

It appears unlikely, though, that a move of such value will be sanctioned for a player of Jagielka’s age and one who has never proven himself at top European level.

In Italy there have been reports that United could move for Juventus forward Mirko Vucinic. Italian publication Tuttosport believes that the 29-year-old could be available this summer as Juventus seek to overhaul their front line.

The gifted Montenegrin has long been said to be on outgoing manager Sir Alex Ferguson’s radar, although it is unclear whether Moyes will share the admiration in the player who has scored 10 goals to help Juventus to the Serie A title this season.

There has also been news of another player who Ferguson was believed to be keen to bring to Manchester United -- Porto winger James Rodriguez. The exciting Colombian has long been linked with a move to United but TalkSport now believes that the 21-year-old could be heading to Monaco.

The club has only just secured promotion to Ligue 1, but, bankrolled by a Russian billionaire, they appear intent on making a major impact next season. It is believed that Monaco are close to a deal for another reported United target in Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao.

In other news, Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, said to be on United’s radar for much of the season, has revealed that, although nothing has yet been decided, he would relish the chance to test himself at a higher level.

“We haven’t spoken at all yet, but I think we will sit down this week and formulate plans from there,” the 25-year-old Bosnian said, according to the Daily Mail.  

“All the speculation is flattering and nice, but as long as Stoke want me, I am contracted here. I am happy here and desperate to help the club push forward, as long as they are moving in the right direction.

“I have ambition to play at the highest level and test myself at that standard, if the opportunity arises.”

When David de Gea was struggling for consistency earlier in the season, there were reports that Begovic was being monitored as a potential reliable alternative to the young Spaniard. De Gea has had a fine second half of the campaign to dampen such talk, although it remains to be seen what Moyes’s plans are.  

Share this article

More News from IBT MEDIA