A Washington state high school freshman, who gunned down four students and then shot himself in October 2014, sent a text message apologizing for his actions minutes before the shooting rampage, according to an investigative report released Tuesday. Jaylen Fryberg, a 15-year-old freshman at Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Marysville, Washington, apparently killed his victims because he wanted them with him “on the other side.”

The 1,400 pages of documents, which detailed the Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team's investigation into the shooting, also included interviews with the shooter’s classmates, many of whom were just feet away when Fryberg opened fire on Oct. 24, 2014, in the school cafeteria during the first lunch break.

"I love you family. I really do. More than anything," Fryberg said, in the text message sent to his family two minutes before opening fire, according to the report. "But I needed my ride or dies with me on the other side… I needed to do this tho ... I wasn't happy. And I need my crew with me too. I'm sorry. I love you.”

According to the report, Fryberg's motive remains unclear, but his classmates told police that his girlfriend had broken up with him just a day before the shooting. They also reportedly said that Fryberg was involved in a fight with a football player over alleged "racial" comments a few days before the shooting.

Fryberg killed three 14-year-old girls -- Gia Soriano, Zoe Galasso and Shaylee Chuckulnaskit -- and his 15-year-old cousin, Andrew Fryberg. Another boy, Nate Hatch, was shot in the face but survived.

“Nothing in this report changes the facts of that day. This was a homicide. It was premeditated and calculated,” Marysville Police Chief Rick Smith said in a statement after the documents were released, according to NBC News. "The shooter was intent on killing those at the table and then himself. And were it not for the actions of one teacher, there would have been additional deaths."

Fryberg's father, Raymond Fryberg, has been charged with illegally possessing a .40-caliber handgun, which was used by his son. His trial is reportedly set for Sept. 21.