The New York Mets used their first-round draft pick to select Brandon Nimmo tonight in the Major League Baseball draft.
Nimmo, who attended East High School in Cheyenne, Wyo., is a corner outfielder with a strong arm. He bats left and has the potential for power. Nimmo is 6'2 and weighs 185 pounds.
Nimmo generated a buzz about his playing skills even though he was hampered by the limitations of his high school and his state--Wyoming has no high school baseball program. Instead, he played for the Cheyenne American Legion Post. He batted batting .569 with 19 extra base hits and 34 RBIs through 25 games for the team this season.
Nimmo had limited expectations about the draft tonight. It's a busy and sometimes stressful process, but I've tried to keep in mind that not many kids get to go through this and I've been trying to have fun with it, Nimmo told the Wyoming Tribune Eagle. I've just tried to keep in mind that nothing is supposed to happen for me because I'm from Wyoming.
The first 13 picks in the MLB draft were:
1. Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA, Pittsburgh Pirates
2. Danny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia, Seattle Mariners
3. Trever Bauer, RHP, UCLA, Arizona Diamondbacks
4. Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso (OK) HS, Baltimore Orioles
5. Bubba Starling, OF, Garner-Edgerton (KS) HS, Kansas City Royals
6. Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice, Washington Nationals
7. Archie Bradley, RHP, Broken Arrow (OK) HS, Arizona Diamondbacks
8. Francisco Lindor, SS, Montverde (FL) HS, Cleveland Indians
9. Javier Baez, SS, Arlington Country Day (FL) HS, Chicago Cubs
10. Cory Spangenberg, 3B, Indian River State College, San Diego Padres
11. George Springer, OF, UConn, Houston Astros
12. Taylor Jungerman, RHP, Texas, Milwaukee Brewers
13. Brandon Nimmo, OF, East (Cheyenne, WY) HS, New York Mets