What Miss Universe 2011 considers as the key to her victory was, as a lesson for women across the globe, her inner beauty and principles.
Leila Lopes snatched the crown as the first Angolan woman to win the glorious title at Miss Universe 2011, the 60th Anniversary of the world's renown beauty pageant.
Among a pageant of 89 women representing their nations, Leila Lopes, 25, was crowned winner of the 2011 Miss Universe in São Paulo, Brazil, replacing last year's Miss Universe, Ximena Navarrete of Mexico.
When the judges asked Miss Angola the final question: If you could change one of your physical characteristics, which one would it be and why? she modestly and very frankly replied that she was very happy the way she was.
Thank God I'm very satisfied with the way God created me and I wouldn't change a thing, Lopes said in an interview.
I consider myself a woman endowed with inner beauty. I have acquired many wonderful principles from my family and I intend to follow these for the rest of my life.
Lopes marks the second black African woman and the fourth black woman in the world to win the Miss Universe title.
Mpule Kwelagobe of Botswana was the first black African to win Miss Universe title in 1999. Janelle Commissiong of Trinidad & Tobago became the first woman of African descent to be crowned Miss Universe, in 1977.
While Lopes may not care much about improving her physical trait, as the winner she will receive a dazzling list of awards:
- A year's supply of hair care products and tools from Farouk Systems.
- A custom diamond tiara and jewelry designed by Diamond Nexus.
- A shoe wardrobe from Chinese Laundry.
- An evening wear wardrobe by Sherri Hill.
- A year's supply of nail care products from OPI Products, Inc.
- Sun care products from Australian Gold.
- A one-year scholarship (including housing) from the New York Film Academy.
- Luxury accommodations in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses
- A year-long salary as Miss Universe.
- Personal services including membership to Gravity Fitness and hair services from John Barrett Salon
- Modeling portfolio by leading fashion photographer Fadil Berisha.
- Dermatology and skincare services provided by Dr. Cheryl Thellman-Karcher.
- Professional health and nutrition consultation by Tanya Zuckerbrot and dental services by Dr. Jan Linhart.
- Casting opportunities and professional representation by the Miss Universe Organization
- Extensive travel opportunities representing sponsors and charitable partners; access to various New York City events including movie premiers and screenings, Broadway shows and launch parties.
- Yearlong consultation with a fashion stylist and access to a personal appearance wardrobe.