Pia Wurtzbach may have found her very own “McDreamy.” The 26-year-old Miss Universe 2015 winner is said to be dating Dr. Mike, a New York resident who became internet famous last year because of his stunning Instagram photos.
According to E! News, Wurtzbach and her new beau sparked dating rumors last month when Dr. Mike posted a photo of them out to dinner at Balvanera restaurant in New York. At the time he captioned the image, “She says she wanted to be a doctor until she realized she’s deathly afraid of the sight of blood, so she decided to win #MissUniverse instead. #touche #welldone #stoneheartday @piawurtzbach.”
She followed up by sharing a cute selfie of them hitting the gym together. However, despite rumors they are a couple, Wurtzbach reportedly told fans in a Facebook chat earlier this month that she was single. E! reports that after she was quizzed about her dating life, Wurtzbach responded by sharing a photo of her holding her sash, writing: “There’s no specific someone in my life. This is the specific someone. This is the priority.”
Dr. Mike was also asked about the dating rumors by Wonderwall and instead of denying the romance he told the outlet that it was a “fairly new relationship” and he was “really excited” to see where it goes.
Even though the rumored couple seem to be keeping things under the radar, here are six things to know about Dr. Mike.
- His real name is Mikhail Varshavski and he was born in Russia. According to Elite Daily, he got the nickname “Dr. Mike” in high school because his classmates were always asking him questions about sports-related injuries since his father also practices medicine.
- Dr. Mike moved to Brooklyn, New York, with his family when he was 6 years old. His family decided to come to America so his father could work in medicine. Dr. Mike obviously followed in his father's footsteps, and according to his Instagram page he’s a second year med resident.
- His mother died while he was in medical school, Elite Daily reports, and he moved back in with his father to help him out. Dr. Mike eventually bought his dad a dog named Roxie to help him cope with the loss. Roxie often makes appearances in Dr. Mike’s Instagram photos.
- His photos started to go viral in 2015. He now has over one million followers and even though he doesn’t post that often, each picture easily gets thousands of likes. People magazine named him the “Sexiest Doctor Alive” last year, and First Generation Fashion said he can give “George Clooney circa ER, a run for his money.”
- In addition to saving lives, Dr. Mike is a fan of “contributing to society and giving back,” First Generation Fashion wrote in a profile on him. The hunky doctor also does guest speaking gigs, and recently shared a photo of him talking to students at Brooklyn College. Furthermore, he recently raised over $91,000 for the Limitless Tomorrow Foundation by partnering with the dating site Coffee Meets Bagel and auctioning off a date with him.
What an incredible 2 weeks! Together we have raised nearly $80,000 for the @limitlesstomorrow foundation! The #dateforcharity ends on Wednesday 1/27 night so get your last minute donations in (link in BIO)! Remember a $10 donations gives you a chance to win a flight to NYC, hotel accommodations, a date with me in a fancy Michelin star restaurant! This contest is open internationally and the larger your donation the more chances you have to win. I know the fundraising isn't over yet but I'd like to thank every one of the generous souls who donated to help students in need! I'm extremely appreciative of your support. Thank you from the bottom of my heart ______ #nyc
- Dr. Mike thinks he has so many Instagram followers because people like that he’s able to balance a crazy work schedule as a doctor with an interesting social life. He often shares photos of him at work, but also takes time to enjoy activities he likes such as tennis, hitting the gym and boxing. He once told First Generation Fashion: “Medicine has been touted as a field where you have to give up your life; I work really hard to battle that. You have to love it, and want it more than anything … My followers on Instagram are interested in seeing that it’s possible to keep a balance between work, fitness and your social life.”