It’s the movie romantic comedy fans have been waiting for since 2002. Toula (Nia Vardalos) and Ian (John Corbett) captured the hearts of millions of viewers in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” and they’re finally back for “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.” However, not everything is the same. Toula and Ian have settled into their marriage and have a daughter to worry about, as well as another wedding to plan. This is what viewers should expect:
1. A Time Jump: The first film ended with Toula and Ian’s daughter starting school, but the movie doesn’t pick up where the first left off. In the sequel, their daughter Paris (Elena Kampouris) is 17 years old and heading off to college.
2. Toula’s Daughter: “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” puts Paris in the spotlight. “Paris is the only child of Toula and Ian; she’s kind of experiencing the feelings Toula felt in the first movie,” Kampouris told Just Jared Jr. “Feeling a little overwhelmed by the pressure her traditional family’s put on her. The Portokalos’ are quite set in their ways, but they only mean well and only want a better life for Paris than what they themselves had. Because she knows this, she feels conflicted to do what they want her to versus what her heart’s telling her she wants with her life.”
Watch the “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” trailer below:
3. Real-Life Inspiration: Vardalos finally started writing the sequel after saying goodbye to her daughter on the first day of school. “I realized I couldn’t let go, and I had morphed into my own suffocating Greek parents,” Vardalos told Yahoo. “Only I could influence her, and my husband, up until then, but now there would be teachers and classmates and school. She was on a trajectory to 12th grade and then college. I saw it go by in a minute, and I started writing.”
4. Another Wedding: It wouldn’t be “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” without another ceremony. Toula’s parents, Gus (Michael Constantine) and Maria (Lainie Kazan), find out they haven’t been legally married, and they need to correct that right away.
5. John Stamos: Though the film is mostly filled with returning cast members, John Stamos plays a new character. The “Fuller House” star appears in the sequel because his mother made a request before she died. “John Stamos’ mom had mentioned to me before she passed away that if I ever did a sequel, it’d sure be fun to have John in it,” Vardalos explained to Entertainment Weekly. “I had to keep my promise to her.”
6. Another Sequel: If “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” is successful, a third movie could be on the way. Vardalos revealed that Corbett asked her to make another sequel as soon as shooting wrapped. “I said, ‘I need a little time to write it, but I won’t make you wait 14 years,’” Vardalos told EW.
“My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2” hits theaters Friday.