Scandal-prone supermodel Naomi Campbell was among the twelve leading figures of the British Fashion industry honored at the 2010 British Fashion Awards held on Tuesday at the prestigious Savoy Hotel and Theatre in London.
While the Special Recognition Award was presented to Naomi Campbell for her huge influence and contribution to the fashion industry over the last 25 years, Phoebe Philo, Creative Director of Celine, was named the winner of the British Designer of the Year Award.
It's a real honor, said Philo, who has been titled as the 'Queen of the New Minimalism', while accepting the award from Bianca Jagger.
Hosted by presenter Claudia Winkleman, the ceremony saw designers, models, fashion editors and stylists, and industry VIPs accompanied by a glamorous line-up of guests and presenters, including Victoria Beckham, Thandie Newton, Claudia Schiffer, Yasmin Le Bon and Alexa Chung.
The Digital Innovation Award was awarded to Burberry for its digital initiatives like the streaming of all its fashion shows online since September 2009 and the launching of its Autumn/Winter 2010 collection as a fully interactive, motion-responsive experience.
This year's British Fashion Awards winners represent extraordinary talent, encompassing the best new and established designers, brands, stylists, models and innovators on all platforms of fashion. The British Fashion Awards celebrates excellence driven by this country's thriving creativity and originality, something that we're very proud to be a part of, said Harold Tillman CBE, Chairman of British Fashion Council in a statement.
The other award categories and the 2010 winners are listed below:
- Isabella Blow Award for Fashion Creator award was presented to renowned stylist, Nicola Formichetti, who is currently the Creative Director at Thierry Mugler in addition to consulting for a number of leading global brands including Alexander McQueen, Prada, D&G and Missoni.
- Designer Brand Award, which is presented annually to a leading British designer who has excelled and made an impact on the international stage over the year, was given to renowned fashion brand, Mulberry for the year 2010.
- Menswear Designer Award was taken home by Patrick Grant for his label E. Tautz. The award recognizes a leading British designer of ready-to-wear and bespoke tailoring who has been instrumental in enhancing men's fashion over the last year.
- Emerging Talent Award (Ready-to-Wear category) was given to Meadham Kirchhoff.
- Emerging Talent Award (Accessories category) was awarded to Husam El Odeh.
- Model Award was collected by Lara Stone, who was appointed the face of Calvin Klein earlier in the year.
- British Style Award, which is decided entirely by public vote, was won by Alexa Chung. The British Style award recognizes an individual who embodies the spirit of British fashion and is an international ambassador for the United Kingdom as a leading creative hub for fashion.