Forget “nuking the fridge,” Indiana Jones will be back for another big-screen adventure in the future. A Lucasfilm executive confirms a new “Indiana Jones” sequel is being planned to follow-up 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.” No word yet if star Harrison Ford will pull a “Star Wars 7” and return to another one of his iconic roles.
Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a recent interview with Vanity Fair that another chapter in the character’s saga is in the works. Unfortunately for fans, it won’t making it way to theaters anytime soon. Kennedy said the creative team is still searching for a script worthy of another Indiana Jones quest. "When it will happen, I'm not quite sure. We haven't started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it," she said.
Who's going to take over the Jones family mantle remains to be seen. It will be almost 10 years since Harrison Ford last donned Jones’ fedora. In addition, the 72-year-old actor broke his ankle last year while filming “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” and suffered serious injuries in a plane crash March 5.
As for a possible replacement, "Transformers" star Shia LaBeouf played Indy’s son in the 2008 sequel, but it is questionable execs will give him the reins to the franchise after his erratic behavior in recent years. Chris Pratt of "Guardians of the Galaxy" fame has also long been rumored to be up for the lead.
The popular adventure from Steven Spielberg followed archeologist Indiana Jones (Ford) as he rescued invaluable relics from Nazis and treasure hunters. After the box office smash success of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” in 1981, Ford reprised the role in 1984’s “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” and 1989’s “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.” Jones’ love interest from the first film, Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen), rejoined the adventurer in “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.”