UPDATE 10:15 p.m. EDT: The New York Times reported that the figure of those injured has risen to 19 from 12. at least three of those injured are in critical condition. Firefighters continued to soak the affected areas six hours after the initial explosion.

UPDATE 5 p.m. EDT: Three people were critically injured, and nine others were also hurt in the incident, according to the FDNY. One building has collapsed, and another two are on fire. It is unclear how many people were in the buildings at the time of the explosion and ensuing fire. Reporters and bystanders have been moved away from the scene. ConEdison is shutting down gas "in the East Village area of 2nd ave," according to the gas company's Twitter account.

UDPATE 4:40 p.m. EDT: The FDNY has confirmed that the explosion and fire occurred at 121 and 123 2nd Avenue, not 125 2nd Avenue. Building 121 is on fire, and building 123 has collapsed, the FDNY said. ConEdison is responding to the seven-alarm fire.

A seven-alarm fire is declared when 250 FDNY personnel and more than 45 units converge on the scene, including fire engines, ladder trucks, special units and EMS elements. 121 2nd Avenue houses the Sushi Park restaurant and 123 houses a small deli and the local and tourist favorite Pommes Frites, a Belgian cafe known for its french fries and specialty dipping sauces.

An aerial photo from the NYPD appears to show the fire spreading to 119 2nd ave and an adjacent building on 7th street.



An apparent explosion rocked a building on Second Avenue in New York City's East Village neighborhood Thursday. The cause of the explosion has not been determined but witnesses said responders from the Fire Department of New York and the New York Police Department Bomb Squad were on scene. Police were cordoning off a two-block radius around the building. 

The New York Post reported that as many as 30 people could be injured in the blast, which authorities said occurred at 125 2nd ave between Seventh Street and St. Mark's Place. The FDNY confirmed that the incident has been elevated to a seven-alarm fire, just 30 minutes after it was first declared a two-alarm blaze.


Praça de guerra no East Village. Explosão em restaurante.

A photo posted by @blogbaixomanhattan on