Sony said Tuesday that the release of its next portable, dubbed NGP, are currently going as planned.
So far we see no impact from the quake on our launch plan, said Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka to Nikkei. Fukuoka did note, however, that the circumstances could change.
The statement counters a previous statement made by Sony America president Jack Tretton, who yesterday said that Sony may be forced to stagger the release of their next portable to keep with demand.
Several Sony factories in Northern Japan have been shuttered for repair after being damaged during the magnitude 9.0 earthquake on March 11, which resulted in thousands of deaths and billions in damage. Reduced shipments from component suppliers are also playing a role in the delays,Tretton said.
Calling Tretton's claims wrong Fukuoka said that his company never officially announced a simultaneous, multi-region release.
The company has indeed been somewhat vague on the NGP's release date since its January announcement, only specifying a holiday 2011 launch window.