Norway Chief of Police, Oystein Meland, stepped down Thursday after a state-issued report harshly criticized his police force's response to the 2011 massacre by Anders Behring Breivik that left 77 people dead.

The 500-page report detailed multiple failures by the police in implementing security measures, stating flatly that the tragedies could have been prevented.

Having only been the chief of police for 14 days when the terror attacks took place on July 22nd  of last year, Meland received enormous pressure from both the government and the public to solve the mass killings.

He said his resignation stemmed from the fact that Minister of Justice Grete Faremo and other politicians no longer gave him their full support.

"To have the Minister of Justice's confidence was crucial in order for me to continue in my position," said Meland. "When the members of parliament and other politicians have not made this clear, I simply can't go on with my work."

Confessed murderer Breivik bombed a government building in central Oslo and then went on a shooting spree at a youth camp, killing 77 people.

The government report described the killing as "the most shocking and incomprehensible acts ever experienced in Norway."

The report cited a series of blunders that significantly slowed down the police's response to the killings, including flaws in communication systems. In addition, a boat broke down when police officers miscalculated the weight of 11 heavily equipped officers of the anti-terror unit.

Norway's only police helicopter was also left unused during the incident because the pilots were on vacation, and thus could not be used in the rescue operation.

Breivik, who killed mostly teenagers, said his victims were fair targets because they were "brainwashed cultural Marxists" whose support for Muslim immigration threatened Norwegian ethnic purity.

He confessed killing the 77 victims, but denied any criminal guilt. A panel of five judges will have to rule on Breivik's sanity in order to deliver their sentence.

If ruled insane, he will be sent to a secure psychiatric ward. If ruled sane, Breivik will be sentenced to 21 years in prison with the possibility of indefinite extensions.

His verdict is due to be announced on August 24.