In a convincing win, Yannick Agnel triumphed in the men's 200 meter freestyle to win the gold medal for France.
He bested Tae-Hwan Park of South Korea and Yang Sun of China, who tied with a finishing time of 1:44.93, each receiving a silver medal.
The reigning world champion Ryan Lochte would finish fourth, over two seconds behind Agnel.
It's the second straight day that Agnel bested Lochte, who came from behind to lead France passed the U.S. the previous night in the 4x100m relay.
In that event, Team USA jumped out to a solid lead for their anchor, Lochte, but saw him give it up on the last 50m leg of the race. Team USA would settle for silver.
Agnel's win gave France their third swimming gold medal, and his heroics denied the U.S. two golds in the 2012 Olympics.
Australia's Thomas Fraser-Holmes finished seventh at 1:46.93.
Michael Phelps had been the defending champion of the event, but he did not participate.
1. Yannick Angel (France): 1:43.14
2. Park Tae-Hwan (South Korea): 1:44.93
3. Sun Yang (China): 1:44.93
4. Ryan Lochte (United States): 1:45.04
5. Paul Biedermann (Germany): 1:45.53
6. Ronnie Renwick (Britain): 1:46.53
7. Thomas Fraser-Holmes (Australia): 1:46.93
8. Daniil Izotov (Russia): 1:47.75