Seven suspected terrorists who are wanted in connection to the Paris attacks could be in Germany, according to German-language news site Spiegel Online. The report comes three weeks after German police released seven people who were previously detained for suspicions they were linked to the terrorist attacks.
Authorities across Europe are continuing to search for those responsible for the Nov. 13 attacks in the French capital that left 130 people dead and hundreds more wounded. Belgian prosecutors said police raided another five properties in the Brussels area Wednesday morning and detained two people for questioning regarding the terrorist attacks. The raids targeted people who could have a link to fugitive Mohamed Abrini as well as Ahmed Dahmani, who was arrested in Turkey. Abrini was seen in a car with Dahmani and another fugitive -- Salah Abdeslam -- at a service station on the motorway to Paris two days before the attacks. None of Wednesday’s detainees have been charged, according to the Associated Press.
— Peter Spiegel (@SpiegelPeter) December 2, 2015
Meanwhile, French police arrested two people outside Paris Tuesday. One of them was a 25-year-old man suspected of being an intermediary to Jawad Bendaoud, the only man charged in connection with the Nov. 13 attacks in the capital. Bendaoud was handed preliminary charges last month for providing a hideout to Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the alleged architect of the attacks. The man, who was arrested in his home in Malakoff, had also been in contact with Abaaoud’s cousin, Hasna Aitboulahcen, who was killed in a police raid Nov. 18. French police also arrested a woman Tuesday who was described as the man’s partner, according to AP.
The Islamic State group, also known as ISIS or ISIL, quickly claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks. The trial for the terrorist organization’s top alleged recruiter and ranking member, Salim Benghalem, is set to take place in Paris this week. The court proceedings will be conducted in absentia, as Benghalem is believed to be in Syria. Benghalem is alleged to have recruited some of the more than 1,500 French citizens who have fled to Syria to join ISIS or other militant groups, making France the country that has produced more foreign fighters than any other in Europe. Five other operatives accused of participating in the alleged recruiter’s terror network will also stand trial in the French capital.
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls told radio station Europe 1 on Tuesday that more than 2,000 police raids have been conducted since the deadly attacks in Paris. Police forces have also made 210 arrests and confiscated 300 weapons.