Former Major League Baseball pitcher Pascual Perez was killed in his home in the Dominican Republican during a robbery after being “hacked to death” with a machete, according to media reports.

Perez, a 55-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, last played for the New York Yankees in 1991. His career spanned 11 years, including four seasons with the Atlanta Braves.

Police in the Dominican Republic said Perez was attacked by several people who broke into his home, the Associated Press reported. While police confirmed Perez was hit in the head, they have not released his cause of death.

Dominican newspaper Hoy said Perez was “hacked to death” by men using machetes.

Police have yet to apprehend any suspects in the former pitcher’s death, according to the AP.

Hoy said Perez, who suffered from kidney problems, lived in San Gregorio de Nigua, near the capital, Santo Domingo.

Perez had been the subject of a death rumor back on Nov. 16, 2010,  but the report was quickly discounted after his brother came forward to say Perez was alive, according to Hoy.

After last appearing for the Yankees in 1991, Perez was suspended in 1992 for testing positive for cocaine, according to the Associated Press.

The 55-year-old made his debut with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1980. The former pitcher also played for the Montreal Expos.

Perez made his lone All-Star appearance as a member of the Braves in 1984.

Over his 11-year career, Perez recorded a 67-68 record and a 3.44 ERA, according to MLB.com.

His best performance came in 1988 when he no-hit the Phildelphia Phillies in a rain-shortened game that went five innings. The no-hitter, which was later taken off the record books because the game didn’t go the distance, was the first recorded in the history of Veterans Stadium, MLB.com reported.