UPDATE: 11:49 p.m. EDT — It was not immediately clear where the blame lies for the Philippines bombing late Friday night local time that killed at least 14 people and injured dozens more in Davao City. A terrorist group affiliated with the Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for it, according to multiple reports.
One Philippines news outlet reported that Abu Sayyaf, an apparent Southeast Asian faction of the global terror group more commonly known as ISIS, admitted to carrying out the deadly bombing at Roxas Night Market.
However, hours later a local journalist tweeted that Abu Sayyaf in Sulu province of the Philippines pointed the finger at Daulatul Islam, a different extremist group operating in the same region that is the reported byproduct of a "merger" between two separate militant groups in the country, Bangladesh news outlet the Dhaka Tribune reported last month.
While it was not immediately clear who the culprits were, the motive for the bombing seemed to elude local law enforcement, as well.
The entire nation was placed under heightened alert — a "state of lawlessness" that allows searches of vehicles at checkpoints — and Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte canceled a planned trip abroad in order to show attention to the tragedy that was still unfolding in his country, according to various social media reports from journalists covering the bombing as well as the president's official Twitter account.
UPDATE: 2:10 p.m. EDT — Officers were investigating a Davao City explosion scenario in which liquified petroleum gas, or propane, caused the Friday blast that killed more than 10 people in the Philippines, the Sun Star reported. However, the prevailing theory seemed to be that the culprit was an improvised explosive device (IED).
UPDATE: 2 p.m. EDT — About eight people were taken to the Davao Doctor's Hospital Friday in addition to the more than 30 who went to the Southern Philippines Medical Center after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market, GMA News Online reported.
UPDATE: 1:54 p.m. EDT — The vice mayor of Davao City, Paolo Duterte, got a bomb threat a few days ago but kept it secret, Inquirer.net reported Friday after news of an explosion in the Philippines city.
UPDATE: 1:51 p.m. EDT — Police officers in metropolitan Manila were "on full alert status" and airports were upping security after a reported bombing in Davao City in which more than 10 people died, GMA News Online reported.
UPDATE: 1:39 p.m. EDT — Police have told officials in the Philippines that 14 people died and 67 were wounded in a blast in Davao City, ABS-CBN News tweeted Friday. Meanwhile, investigators were analyzing debris from the scene of the explosion:
UPDATE: 1:35 p.m. EDT — Police in Davao City had their days off canceled Friday and were instructed to report to the urbanized city in the Philippines after a reported explosion at a night market there, the Manila Bulletin tweeted.
UPDATE: 1:29 p.m. EDT — The Ateneo de Davao University has canceled classes Saturday in wake of the explosion at the nearby night market, it posted on its Twitter account Friday. "All offices will be closed," it wrote. "Let us pray!"
UPDATE: 1:19 p.m. EDT — You can watch a live stream of the Filipino news channel ANC here.
UPDATE: 1:12 p.m. EDT — As noted by the owner of FilipinoScribe.com, Davao City Vice-Mayor Paolo Duterte cautioned people in July about a possible threat from the Islamic State group. On July 7, he said the urbanized city had gotten threats from the extremist group and was attempting to confirm them, GMA News Online reported.
UPDATE: 1:05 p.m. EDT — Facebook activated its Safety Check feature for people in the Philippines Friday after an explosion in Davao City.
UPDATE: 12:58 p.m. EDT — Davao City Vice-Mayor Paolo Duterte said the 10 victims of a Friday night blast at the Roxas Night Market were half female, half male, according to GMA News Online.
UPDATE: 12:51 p.m. EDT — The presidential communications operations office wrote on its Facebook page Friday that the explosion in Davao City was "being handled."
"A thorough investigation is being conducted to determine the cause of the explosion and checkpoints/chokepoints were already established at all exit points in the city," it wrote. "We call on all the people to be vigilant at all times and report to the police any suspicious packages or persons. Please refrain from creating/passing misleading or unverified reports to avoid confusion and panic."
Meanwhile, people near the Roxas Night Market started to keep a list of bystanders they'd heard were injured in the blast.
UPDATE: 12:30 p.m. EDT — The City Government of Davao posted on its Facebook page Friday to reassure Filipinos that they had opened an investigation into the reported bombing at Roxas Night Market. But answers remained scarce.
"Let us pray for the victims of this unfortunate incident, especially for those who died. Let us pray for those who are being treated in different hospitals and pray for their quick recovery. There are at least 10 people who perished because of the incident and a number were reported wounded," the statement from Vice-Mayor Paolo Duterte read. "Right now, we cannot yet give definite answer to as to who is behind this as we are also trying to determine what really exploded."
UPDATE: 12:25 p.m. EDT — The Ateneo de Davao University, near the site of the reported blast in the Philippines Friday, went on lockdown Friday. The school's official Twitter account tweeted that the Red Cross blood bank would start accepting donations, pairing the message with the hashtag #PrayForDavao.
UPDATE: 12:19 p.m. EDT — People injured in the explosion in Davao City, an urbanized city in the Philippines, have been taken to the Southern Philippines Medical Center as police sweep for evidence in the Roxas Night Market, according to the Mindanao Examiner.
CNN reported 60 people were wounded in the blast.
UPDATE: 12:15 p.m. EDT — The president of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, was safe Friday after an explosion in Davao City, according to Reuters. Duterte formerly served as the mayor of Davao City. He was also recently the subject of a foiled assassination plot.
More than 30 people were reportedly injured and at least nine killed Friday in the Philippines after an explosion in a Davao City market. Details were still emerging, but police spokeswoman Catherine Dela Rey confirmed to Rappler that witnesses saw and heard and a bang at the Roxas Night Market at about 10:20 p.m. local time.
This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.