Producer Diplo is providing some new clues on the whereabouts of Beyonce’s missing fifth album -- and the good news is that it does exist. In an interview published by the Sun, he shared that all his tracks for the album were passed over after he produced a few pieces for the project.
“I just did two songs for her new album, well, I tried,” Diplo said. “I think she scrapped the record. The record was supposed to be done, and they have been hitting me up for brand-new ideas.”
The comments caused a bit of controversy Thursday after many thought Diplo implied the entire album had been abandoned. He took to Twitter to clarify his statement Friday:
When I say 'record' I'm talking about one song smdh.. Music journalism sucks. Im
Continue Reading Below
— lil mufasa (@diplo) July 12, 2013
In the interview published by the Sun, Diplo also shared how he initially tried to lead Bey away from using an old sample for her “4” single “Run the World (Girls),” saying, “When Beyonce sampled ‘Pon de Floor,’ it was already in the clubs two years earlier and I told her that.” But that wasn’t enough to dissuade the superstar, who explained to him that she wasn’t concerned about the old sample.
Beyonce is currently completing the American leg of her Mrs. Carter Show World Tour. Her much-discussed fifth studio album remains without either a name or a release date.
Watch Diplo’s “The Life of Diplo” documentary below: