Raven-Symoné was named the newest co-host of “The View” in Wednesday’s episode. She fills Rosie O'Donnell's seat, who left in February to minimize stress.
Raven, 29, is currently the youngest co-host at “The View” roundtable. She joins Nicolle Wallace, Rosie Perez and Whoopi Goldberg as co-hosts of ABC's daytime talk show. The new face might be a little unfamiliar to some viewers, so here’s what daytime fans need to know about her:
1. Disney Kid – Raven has been working with Disney since she was a teenager on Disney Channel. Many know her from the television comedy “That’s So Raven” or “The Cheetah Girls” movies. The actress has continued working with the Disney companies throughout her career, most recently appearing on ABC’s “Black-ish.”
“The Disney Company has made another one of my dreams come true! Being a part of ‘The View’ family will be a wonderful growing experience for me,” the new host said in a statement Wednesday.
2. Experience – With over 20 years of acting experience, being herself in front of cameras might come off as nerve-wracking for the thespian. However, Raven has plenty of experience hosting. She has already been a guest host on “The View” for 37 episodes.
3. Making Headlines – “The View” hosts are known to say some things that cause controversy, and Raven has fit right in with them when it comes to causing people to talk. In March, the women discussed an Univision TV host who compared Michelle Obama to an ape. Raven didn’t feel it was a racist comment, which sparked some backlash.
“Michelle, don’t fire me from this right now, but some people look like animals. Is that rude?” she said. “I look like a bird. So can I be mad if somebody calls me Toucan Sam?”
4. Barbara Walters Approved – The respected journalist decided to retire last year, but she still serves as executive producer for “The View.” That means that she had to give her stamp of approval before Raven could join the talk show. “Raven-Symoné is a welcome addition to ‘The View,’” Walters said in a press release. “She is happy, amusing and well informed, and has already brought a unique perspective to the program that has resonated with our audience.”
5. No Bill Cosby Conversations – Don’t expect the former “Cosby Show” star to talk about Bill Cosby’s rape accusations. Raven wrote on Instagram that she was never abused by him and asked followers to keep her out of the conversation.
“Everyone on that show treated me with nothing but kindness,” she wrote. “Now keep me out of this!”
6. TV and Music – Raven is still keeping busy with other projects while she is on "The View." She has been working on her fifth studio album and she has a recurring role on Fox’s musical drama “Empire.” According to E! Online, she’ll appear again in Season 2. She is also set to return to Disney Channel for an episode of “K.C. Undercover,” which will air later this year.
“The View” airs weekdays at 11 a.m. EDT on ABC.