- A study, based on computer simulations of dynamos created by turbulent liquids, argues that between 500 million and 1 billion years ago, Earth may have had a multipolar magnetic field.
- In a letter to the Australian prime minister, an international team of scientists said greater efforts are needed to protect the iconic Great Barrier Reef.
- Scientists at KM3NeT have released a report outlining plans to build a gigantic neutrino-hunting telescope in the depths of the Mediterranean Sea.
- In a paper, Google researchers have outline five key problems they say need to be addressed before an intelligent machine can be created.
- Scientists believe that the discovery of high-energy X-ray emissions associated with a dormant black hole is key to understanding how the biggest black holes in the universe formed.