Articles by Eleazar David Meléndez
- Austerity Protests Rock Europe's Capitals Throughout The Year
December 28 2012 7:02 AM
Protests against austerity-induced government layoffs, higher taxes, and service cuts intensified across Europe as populaces struck back.
- US Consumers To Feel Effects Of The Fiscal Cliff, No Matter What
December 21 2012 11:43 PM
Washington can go right or left in the fiscal-cliff talks, but U.S. consumer spending will probably take a hit next year either way.
- What Does Fiscal Cliff Mean For Federal Reserve?
December 21 2012 9:23 AM
Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke coined the term “fiscal cliff.” But he also said politicians need to act since the central bank can't do much.
- ICE Makes $8.2 Billion Bid For NYSE
December 20 2012 12:41 PM
Exchange operator Intercontinental Exchange (NYSE:ICE) said Thursday it was looking to buy the parent company of the New York Stock Exchange for $8.2 billion.
- Critics Turn Up Heat On Ratings Agencies
December 18 2012 1:44 PM
Criticism of credit rating agencies continues after an analysis revealed their sovereign ratings lack reliability.
- US Banks On Basel III Rules: No Más
December 18 2012 7:11 AM
U.S. banks are refusing to play ball on global capital rules, claiming they shouldn’t be forced to put more cash in a rainy day scheme.
- Queen Elizabeth II To Bankers: Don't Mess Up Again
December 14 2012 2:20 PM
In a visit to the Bank of England, Queen Elizabeth II politely but firmly questioned the precise reasons why the Bank never saw the crisis coming while other regulators did little to prevent it.
- Egypt: Besides Counter-Revolution It Now Has Economic Turmoil
December 14 2012 7:30 AM
Egypt is at risk of descending into a cycle of economic crisis feeding into political crisis, as it had to delay asking for an IMF loan.
- One In 10 US Banks Engaging In Usury For Consumer Loans
December 14 2012 7:13 AM
In total, 11 percent of banks admitted they charge more than 36 percent annual interest on small consumer loans of less than $2,500.
- Europe Holiday Gift: Banking Supervisor
December 13 2012 3:48 PM
Key players in the continuing Europe debt saga and financial crisis announced what amounted to Christmastime gifts to Greece and Britain.
- Bernanke On Federal Reserve Policy: It's Complicated
December 12 2012 6:18 PM
The chairman attempted to clarify new guidance from the Fed, but the more things were explained, the more complicated they became.
- Fed: 6.5% Unemployment Or Bust
December 12 2012 1:17 PM
The Fed Wednesday announced a new round of monetary easing and, in a historic turn, tied future actions to a numerical jobless target.