The president and his team had already damaged U.S. credibility through their maneuvering in recent weeks.
Articles by Lawrence Haas
- President-Congress Clash Over Iran Sanctions Won’t Serve U.S. Interests
December 12 2013 12:14 PM
The congressional push for tougher sanctions against Iran in the aftermath of the nuclear deal is understandable.
- Obama’s Narrow Focus On Iran’s Nukes Misses The Larger Point
November 27 2013 12:28 PM
We see an administration that prefers doing business with brutal dictators rather than pressuring them to end their atrocities.
- U.N.’s Human Rights Council Shames Itself Further, If That’s Possible
November 14 2013 11:06 AM
That a global Human Rights Council can welcome such human rights abusers with open arms not defies logic
- Alaa Al Aswany: The Grey Lady’s Troubling New Columnist
October 31 2013 9:43 AM
Aswany argues that Israel seeks a weak Egypt so it can dominate the region.
- Government Shutdown 2013 Ends: Hey, Washington -- The Whole World Was Watching
October 17 2013 9:08 AM
The impacts to come from the shutdown, however, could prove even worse
- Rouhani’s Charm Offensive Already Paying Off For Tehran
October 03 2013 10:13 AM
Israel now finds itself more isolated than ever on Iran.
- Iran Likely Seeking To Exploit US Weakness Over Syria
September 19 2013 12:30 PM
The Iranian regime is likely playing a far more hard-headed game, capitalizing on apparent U.S. desires to avoid military action.
- European Union Clearly Confused About Middle East
July 25 2013 10:55 AM
Ever wonder about the European Union, a sometimes unwieldy body of 28 nations, each of which sacrifices some measure of its national sovereignty?
- The International Criminal Court Is Mulling An Absurd Case Against Israel
July 11 2013 12:01 PM
The International Criminal Court's probe of Israel strays -- in a big way -- from its obligation to focus on genocide and war crimes.
- America’s 'Swagger' Shrinks, World Suffers
June 27 2013 9:07 AM
Of all the challenges on his plate, U.S. Joint Chiefs Chairman Martin Dempsey worries most about something nebulous.
- Iran: Much More Than Nukes
June 13 2013 8:45 AM
In highlighting Iran’s nuclear pursuit, U.S. policymakers and pundits have cast insufficient light on Tehran’s other activities.
- John Kerry’s Palestinian Investment Plan Sidesteps Central Truisms
May 30 2013 8:22 AM
I suspect that I’m like many of you. I want to believe Israeli-Palestinian peace is coming.
- America Plays The ‘Weak Horse’ In Syria
May 16 2013 9:14 AM
In essence, Syria has become not just a gruesome civil war, but also a proxy war with significant global implications.
- Stakes Too High To Ignore Democracy’s Retreat
April 18 2013 11:36 AM
While the advance of democracy is stalling, public support for democracy is also falling across the developing world.
- Time For US To See Turkey As It Is
April 04 2013 11:28 AM
Washington’s reluctance to recognize the fundamental change under way in the Turkey of Erdogan shouldn't surprise us.
- What I Hope Obama Asked Abbas
March 21 2013 10:43 AM
As you surely know, Mr. President, a true and lasting peace cannot be imposed on a reluctant people.
- Chavez’s Death A Huge Opportunity -- If Venezuelans Can Seize It
March 07 2013 11:13 AM
Will the government Chavez left behind conduct a fair election to replace him?
- The Disturbing Anonymity Of Lars Hedegaard
February 21 2013 11:21 AM
Hedegaard is not the only critic of Islamic culture who’s been targeted for death in Denmark or elsewhere in Europe.
- Rest assured -- Nuclear Talks With Iran Are Resuming
February 07 2013 10:36 AM
Though Iran often exaggerates its nuclear progress, nuclear and military experts suggested it may not be bluffing this time.