Articles by Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan
- Cervical Cancer Awareness, Prevention Likely To Save Women's Lives
January 21 2013 5:23 AM
About 12,000 women in the U.S. are prone to cervical cancer each year. Though it was a second leading cause of death in American women years ago, today it is identified as preventable if detected early.
- Bilingual Seniors Stay Sharp, Says Study
January 09 2013 5:21 AM
Wonder how to stay agile as you grow older? Simple. The answer lies in practicing bilingualism from a young age.
- State Panel Urges Privatization Of LIPA
January 08 2013 7:09 AM
A New York State Commission has recommended the privatization of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), the electricity provider for Long Island and the Rockways that was slow to restore power to the customers following Superstorm Sandy in October.
- Global IT Spending Pegged At $3.7 Trillion
January 07 2013 6:20 AM
Analyst firm Gartner has increased its forecast for the worldwide IT spending in 2013 to $3.7 trillion in 2013.
- Steve Jobs Biopic Likely To Hit Theaters In April 2013
January 04 2013 6:26 AM
Finally, the curtains are all set to rise above the much-awaited Steve Jobs biopic, "jOBS," starring actor Ashton Kutcher.
- Microsoft Acquires R2 Studios To Expand Home Entertainment
January 03 2013 5:48 AM
Microsoft has acquired start-up id8 Group R2 Studios Inc. to bolster its expansion into technology focused on home and entertainment.
- POSCO, China Steel Consortium To Buy 15% Stake In ArcelorMittal Mines Canada
January 02 2013 6:47 AM
A consortium led by POSCO and China Steel Corp. is acquiring a 15 percent stake in ArcelorMittal Mines Canada Inc.
- Chavez Condition Stable, Venezuela Says
January 01 2013 6:18 AM
The Venezuelan government has rebutted the rumors that President Hugo Chavez’s health condition is rapidly deteriorating.
- Pakistan Releases Eight Taliban Prisoners To Boost Peace Efforts
January 01 2013 4:43 AM
The Pakistan government released eight Afghan Taliban prisoners Monday with hopes of invigorating the peace process in Afghanistan.
- New Year's Eve 2013 Ushers In Extended Train, Shuttle Services
December 31 2012 7:36 AM
BART, TriMet and Broadway Shuttle will run extended services to enable the New Year partygoers to return home safely.
- Al-Qaeda Targets US Ambassador, Soldiers In Yemen
December 31 2012 4:20 AM
Al-Qaeda has apparently announced a bounty of $160,000 for the head of the U.S. ambassador to Yemen.
- US Holiday Shopping Lowest Since 2008
December 27 2012 6:34 AM
Sales of electronics, clothing, jewelry and home goods in the two months to Christmas increased by a tad 0.7 percent.
- Ravi Shankar Memorial Service: Tributes Pour In For Sitarist (PHOTOS)
December 21 2012 4:55 AM
A mourning service organized at the Self-Realization Fellowship Center in Encinitas, San Diego, Thursday, where the musician had resided for last two decades, paid a fitting tribute to the late sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar, who passed away Dec.11, following complaints of breathing difficulties.
- Zuckerberg Donates $500 Million In Shares To Charity
December 20 2012 8:31 AM
Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) CEO Mark Zuckerberg has done it again! Zuckerberg has donated liberally to a charity in Silicon Valley.
- John McAfee Arrives In US
December 13 2012 7:55 AM
Fugitive software tycoon John McAfee who is wanted for questioning over the murder of his American neighbor in Belize, arrived in Miami Wednesday night.
- The Beatles Muse, Indian Sitarist Ravi Shankar, Dies At 92
December 12 2012 1:36 AM
Pandit Ravi Shankar, the legendary sitarist described as the "godfather of world music" by Beatles guitarist George Harrison, has died at 92.
- Buses Using Microphone Surveillance To Monitor Commuters?
December 11 2012 7:21 AM
Transit companies are increasingly investing in security systems that can actually record your conversations.
- ‘Les Miserables’ Cast Arrive In NYC For A Rousing Premiere
December 11 2012 5:52 AM
"Les Miserables," the musical, which has received favorable reviews thus far, hit a new high as its cast and crew arrived in New York City Monday for a rousing premiere.
- Rolling Stones US Gig Plays To The Gallery (PHOTOS)
December 09 2012 7:49 AM
The Rolling Stones' lead singer, Mick Jagger, showed the world once again on Saturday night why he's still the best frontman in popular music. Even more impressive, he proved the point at a U.S. concert that's part of the group's tour celebrating their 50th anniversary as a band.
- US Drone Track: Interactive Map Facilitates Real-Time Monitoring
December 07 2012 5:55 AM
Tracking drones in the U.S. airspace has become much easier thanks to the interactive map constructed by the Electronic Frontier Federation (EFF) using data obtained from the Freedom of Information Act Lawsuit against the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).