Articles by Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan
- Cervical Cancer Awareness, Prevention Likely To Save Women's Lives
January 21 2013 5:23 AM
About 12,000 women in the U.S. are prone to cervical cancer each year. Though it was a second leading cause of death in American women years ago, today it is identified as preventable if detected early.
- Bilingual Seniors Stay Sharp, Says Study
January 09 2013 5:21 AM
Wonder how to stay agile as you grow older? Simple. The answer lies in practicing bilingualism from a young age.
- State Panel Urges Privatization Of LIPA
January 08 2013 7:09 AM
A New York State Commission has recommended the privatization of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), the electricity provider for Long Island and the Rockways that was slow to restore power to the customers following Superstorm Sandy in October.
- Global IT Spending Pegged At $3.7 Trillion
January 07 2013 6:20 AM
Analyst firm Gartner has increased its forecast for the worldwide IT spending in 2013 to $3.7 trillion in 2013.
- Steve Jobs Biopic Likely To Hit Theaters In April 2013
January 04 2013 6:26 AM
Finally, the curtains are all set to rise above the much-awaited Steve Jobs biopic, "jOBS," starring actor Ashton Kutcher.
- Microsoft Acquires R2 Studios To Expand Home Entertainment
January 03 2013 5:48 AM
Microsoft has acquired start-up id8 Group R2 Studios Inc. to bolster its expansion into technology focused on home and entertainment.
- POSCO, China Steel Consortium To Buy 15% Stake In ArcelorMittal Mines Canada
January 02 2013 6:47 AM
A consortium led by POSCO and China Steel Corp. is acquiring a 15 percent stake in ArcelorMittal Mines Canada Inc.
- Chavez Condition Stable, Venezuela Says
January 01 2013 6:18 AM
The Venezuelan government has rebutted the rumors that President Hugo Chavez’s health condition is rapidly deteriorating.
- Pakistan Releases Eight Taliban Prisoners To Boost Peace Efforts
January 01 2013 4:43 AM
The Pakistan government released eight Afghan Taliban prisoners Monday with hopes of invigorating the peace process in Afghanistan.
- New Year's Eve 2013 Ushers In Extended Train, Shuttle Services
December 31 2012 7:36 AM
BART, TriMet and Broadway Shuttle will run extended services to enable the New Year partygoers to return home safely.
- Al-Qaeda Targets US Ambassador, Soldiers In Yemen
December 31 2012 4:20 AM
Al-Qaeda has apparently announced a bounty of $160,000 for the head of the U.S. ambassador to Yemen.
- US Holiday Shopping Lowest Since 2008
December 27 2012 6:34 AM
Sales of electronics, clothing, jewelry and home goods in the two months to Christmas increased by a tad 0.7 percent.