Articles by Vivian Tsai
- Hope, And Amusement, In Taiwan As China Changes Leadership
November 14 2012 6:01 PM
Seen from Taiwan, China's leadership change is a hopeful moment -- but not without some amusing twists.
- Congolese Anti-Rape Doctor Denis Mukwege An Unsung Hero
October 26 2012 5:02 PM
A Congolese gynecologist and human rights activist survived an assassination attempt.
- EU Awards Sakharov Prize To 2 Iranian Dissidents
October 26 2012 12:44 PM
The EU named Iranian lawyer Narsin Sotoudeh and Iranian filmmaker Jafar Panahi as winners of the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.
- Chinese Nobelist Criticized For Murky Political Stance
October 13 2012 9:32 AM
Heavily criticized for close ties with China's Communist Party, Chinese author Mo Yan said he hopes Liu Xiaobo regains his freedom soon.
- Israel's Netanyahu: No Deal On Golan Pullout
October 12 2012 2:04 PM
Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu issued a statement on Friday denying a newspaper report that claimed he had agreed in principle to return the Golan Heights completely to Syria in return for diplomatic recognition.
- Tanzania Investigates Fake HIV Drugs
October 12 2012 12:17 PM
Tanzania’s recent investigation into the circulation of sub-standard HIV drugs may lead to further criminal prosecution, the Tanzania Health Minister, Hussein Ali Mwinyi, said.
- Cuban Dissident Blogger Yoani Sanchez Arrested
October 05 2012 5:27 PM
Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez and her husband were reportedly arrested by officials in the eastern city of Bayamo.
- Abu Hamza And Four Others Finally Extradited To US
October 05 2012 2:54 PM
The U.K. High Court ruled Abu Hamza al-Masri, Babar Ahmad, Syed Talha Ahsan, Adel Abdul Bary, and Khaled al-Fawwaz will be extradited to the U.S.
- Taiwan Struggles: Prosperity Vs. Quality Of Life
October 05 2012 1:42 PM
The people of Taiwan have enjoyed tremendous economic development in recent decades, but this prosperity has harmed the quality of life for many. For example, there is too much noise on the overcrowded island.
- Dogged Determination Oils Russian-Venezuelan Deals
September 28 2012 4:32 PM
Russian President Vladimir Putin shared his love of animals by giving a terrier puppy to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez as a diplomatic present.
- A Breathtaking Fall From Grace: Bo Xilai Expelled From China’s Communist Party
September 28 2012 12:35 PM
Bo Xilai, once considered a contender for the highest post in the Chinese government, has been officially expelled from the Communist Party, or CCP, and now expects to face justice, according to state media.
- South Africa Issues Arrest Warrant For Julius Malema
September 21 2012 4:44 PM
Julius Malema, a fierce critic of the current South African President Jacob Zuma, is said to have received an arrest warrant for corruption, fraud and money laundering.
- Louvre Opens Islamic Arts Gallery Amid Tension With Muslim World
September 21 2012 1:02 PM
The Louvre Museum of Paris has opened a new wing dedicated to Islamic Arts, amid growing tension with Muslim world.
- Swiss Farmer Rejects Millions For His Land As Form Of Protest Against Unchecked Immigration
September 14 2012 5:06 PM
Influx of wealthy immigrants into Zug, Switzerland's richest canton, do not blend well with local residents, causing friction between the two groups. A Swiss farmer turned down $30 million, refusing to have more apartments built on his farmland.
- Australia Culls 100,000 Feral Camels To Limit Environmental Damage
September 14 2012 2:42 PM
Some 100,000 feral camels have been culled from the Australian outback in order to control the population level and limit the environmental damage they cause.
- Japan Seeks To Phase Out Nuclear Power, But Some Are Skeptical
September 14 2012 1:23 PM
Following the historic disaster at Fukushima nuclear power plant last year, the Japanese government is poised to completely shift its energy policy by phasing out its dependence on atomic energy by the 2030s.
- Singapore Engulfed In Smoky Haze From Indonesian Forest Fires
September 07 2012 4:31 PM
Singapore reached the worst air pollution level in the year, as monsoon brought haze from Indonesian forest fire.
- Canada Makes 'Bold Move': Severs Ties with Iran
September 07 2012 3:35 PM
Canada has officially suspended all of its diplomatic relation with Iran, closing down its embassy in Iran and expelling all Iranian diplomats from Canada.
- Kenya To Build Fence Around Its Tallest Mountain To Prevent Human-Animal Conflicts
September 07 2012 1:41 PM
Kenya Wildlife Service plans to complete the project in 5 years.
- South Korea Offers North Flood Relief, Seeking To Thaw Icy Relationship
September 07 2012 1:15 PM
Official aid from the South to the North often goes through the Red Cross as a matter of formality and convenience.