Comedian Roseanne Barr is seeking the Green Party nomination for President of the United States. Source: www.roseanneforpresident.com
Comedienne and actress Roseanne Barr wasn't joking when she announced her presidential bid on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno last August, and recently filed paperwork to run in the Green Party primary in July.
The goals of my presidential campaign are to speak to the needs of the 99 percent, wrote Barr in the Green Party questionnaire required for prospective candidates. And support them in their struggle for economic justice and true representation that is not influenced by outside corporate forces.
Evoking the rhetoric of Occupy Wall Street, Barr has denounced the two-party system of Democrats and Republicans as being bought and paid for by corporate America.
Barr will run against Jill Stein, a physician and environmental activist, whom she has previously supported on Twitter, leading many to believe that her intention is to publicize Stein and the Green Party.
I run in support of The Green Party & probably of Jill Stein-hopefully I can be of service by speaking on media about a viable choice 4 voters, wrote Barr in a Feb. 2 Twitter post.
Whether or not Barr is serious about a presidential run, she is serious about promoting the Green Party's politics. Here are five main points on her platform, which she detailed in the Green Party questionnaire:
- OBLITERATION OF THE TWO PARTY SYSTEM: I will achieve this by becoming the first Green Party President of these United States as a result of our victory in the 2012 general election. I also believe it's essential to do away with the Electoral College.
- CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE: I will introduce a Constitutional Amendment that will end corporate personhood and remove the unfair advantage that corporations have in influencing the decisions made in Washington. If it doesn't think, breathe and bleed, it's not human. It's not even a dog. I will then take this one crucial step further and embrace current efforts to remove all money from our electoral process.
- ECONOMIC JUSTICE: As President of the United States, I will reinstate the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 as well as bringing back the financial transaction tax that, for pennies on the dollar, will be a windfall for social programs in danger of being cut. I will remove the immoral cap on FICA tax for the rich. I will rewrite labor laws so that U.S. companies are bound by them even when they try to skirt them by shipping jobs overseas. This will effectively roadblock mega-corporations from outsourcing production to countries with immoral, inadequate and nonexistent labor laws. Our jobs will stay here in the United States of America where they belong. I will close the loopholes that allow some of our nation's most profitable corporations to get away with not paying any taxes at all.
- HEALTH CARE NOT WARFARE: Not only will I bring home all U.S. troops from Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Libya, Mexico and the Horn of Africa, but I will also permanently shut down the 1,000-plus foreign U.S. military bases around the world. This would save more than enough money to implement a singlepayer health care system in the United States. Guantanamo Bay will remain open and that is where I will send anyone who opposes this plan. Just kidding on that last part.
- LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA: I'm sick and tired of this medical marijuana sham. All marijuana is medicinal and we have to stop pretending that there is some sort of moral superiority to calling some of it medical. I will legalize all marijuana and all drugs in general. Drug education will be offered and treatment plans will be put in place for abusers. Sweeping the problem under the rug by turning non-violent abusers into criminals only exacerbates the problem by pretending that real solutions don't exist. Behold the Greening of America!