Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday that the downing of a Russian fighter jet by Turkey Tuesday was a “planned provocation.” The incident has prompted the Kremlin to reconsider its relations with Ankara, Lavrov said.
However, the Russian politician also said that his country had “no intention to go to war with Turkey," and that its attitude toward the Turkish people did not change, according to the Associated Press.
"We only have questions about the Turkish leadership," Lavrov added.
The 65-year-old also said that "terrorists" have used Turkish territory to organize attacks in other countries. However, he did not specify which countries he was referring to. Lavrov also suggested Russians should avoid travelling to Turkey.
Turkey and Russia have agreed to hold talks over the incident, Lavrov said in a television interview, according to AP. Although the meeting is not confirmed, Turkish foreign ministry spokesman Tanju Bilgic said, in a statement, that Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu and Lavrov agreed to meet "in the coming days," AP reported.
Bilgic also said that the two are expected to share information over the incident through "diplomatic and military channels."
Meanwhile, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Wednesday that Russia will continue its air campaign against the Islamic State group in Syria near the Turkish border.
"We would like for the terrorists and militants to keep further away from the Turkish border, but unfortunately they tend to be situated on the Syrian territory close to the Turkish border," Peskov said, according to Reuters. "(Russia's) operations will continue without doubt."
Earlier in the day, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu accused Russia of targeting Turkmen, ethnic Turks fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad, a Russian ally.
Also on Wednesday, Ukraine's prime minister said his country will not allow Russian planes to fly in Ukraine’s airspace. In October, Ukraine banned all Russian airlines from traveling to Ukraine.