You've heard his hit songs, seen his face, but who exactly is new Grammy winner Sam Smith? After winning for Best New Artist and Best Pop Vocal Album at the 57th annual Grammy Awards Sunday night, those unfamiliar with the "Stay With Me" singer may want to know a little more about the award-winning performer.
Here are five fast facts about Sam Smith:
1. The London lad, born in 1992, is not the only famous face in the family. He’s also related to singer Lily Allen and actor Alfie Allen.
2. How big of a hit was he in 2014? His second album, “In the Lonely Hour” was second only to Taylor Swift’s “1989.” Quite a jump from just a year ago when he made his first American TV debut on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.”
3. Smith mostly lists female vocalists as his influences, including Lady Gaga, Adele, Beyoncé, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse and Mariah Carey. As he told the BBC, “I actually didn't listen to male vocalists until about two years ago. I just listened to Whitney Houston, Chaka Khan. Massive voices.”
4. He won the award Sunday night he had his eye on before the show: Best New Artist. “For me it’s Best New Artist because you can only win that one once,” Smith recently said.
5. While his album was the second highest-selling in the U.K. after fellow nominee Ed Shereen’s “X,” Smith received twice as many Grammy nominations.
Watch Smith and the rest of music's biggest stars at the 2015 Grammys live now on CBS.