Is Samsung preventing owners of Galaxy Note 7 phones that have exploded or got consumed in flames from exposing the risky status of its flagship device? If recent reports are to be considered, it seems the South Korea giant is doing so.
AppleInsider reported over the weekend that Apple’s biggest rival is slowing down complaints over its recalled handset from surfacing. This is not subject to speculation, however, as a tech support agent from Samsung accidentally sent a text message relaying the said idea to a customer.
The incident happened last week when a Kentucky man named Michael Klering revealed to television station WKYT what he received from a tech support agent after complaining about his Galaxy Note 7 handset that caught fire on Tuesday, Oct. 4.
“Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter. We just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it,” the text message, which is believed to have been intended for another support associate, reads.
According to Klering, he refused to give the burned device to Samsung though the tech giant asked him to. Instead, he just accepted the offer to have it x-rayed with Samsung covering for the payment to do so.
In response to the incident that even caused Klering to visit the hospital, Samsung said in a statement: "We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously and we are engaged with Mr. Klering to ensure we are doing everything we can for him. Customer safety remains our highest priority as we are investigating the matter."
Just a day after Klering’s phone burst into flames, another handset reportedly emitted smoke while inside a Southwest Airlines plane, prompting everyone onboard to evacuate the aircraft including the owner of the device who was identified as Brian Green, as reported by Dallas News.
As more cases of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones catching fire are reported even with the company's global recall and replacement program, Samsung has now decided to stop the production of its iPhone 7 Plus competitor. Samsung did not respond to CNET’s request for comment regarding the issue.
Additionally, AT&T has decided to stop selling the new and replacement units of the Galaxy Note 7, with a spokesperson for the major U.S. carrier telling Forbes: “Based on recent reports, we’re no longer exchanging new Note 7s at this time, pending further investigation of these reported incidents.”
The spokesperson also maintained that the company is encouraging customers to have their Note 7 smartphone swapped with a different device. Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon are also advising customers to exchange their Note 7 with a different phone.