Sony began restoring services to its Playstation Network on Sunday after nearly 3 weeks offline, explaining it was not putting consumer data protection a company commitment.
Sony No. 2 Kazuo Hirai offered his sincere apologies Saturday night, and explained t hat a number of security measures needed to be installed after last month's devastating hacker attack.
While we understand the importance of getting our services back online, we did not rush to do so at the expense of extensively and aggressively testing our enhanced security measures, Hirai said.
The executive explained that Sony had put in place upgraded systems including advanced security technology, increased levels of encryption, firewall and early warning system.
The company would start bringing back its gaming network this Sunday, on a country-by-country basis, and expects it to be completed by May 31.
Among the 100 million user accounts, Sony said about 92 million can access the limited PlayStation network service.
We are taking aggressive action at all levels to address the concerns that were raised by this incident, and are making consumer data protection a full-time, company wide commitment.
For weeks Sony has been in the crosshairs on digital vigilantes, forcing the company to shut down several services and issue public apologies and reparations to customers affected.
In April Sony was forced to take down the massive Playstation gaming network after attackers infiltrated and acquired personal data on nearly 80 million customers -- one of the largest security breaches in history.
Then, on May 9, Sony learned SOE, which runs games such as DC Universe Online, had also been attacked, affecting an additional 24 million accounts.
Since the shutdown of the PlayStation Network on April 20, Sony's share price has dropped nearly nine percent to close at 2,241 yen ($28) on Friday.