Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Every March 17, revelers take to the streets to celebrate Irish-American heritage. For those who plan to celebrate, 29 quotes, blessings and traditional sayings are listed below, courtesy of BrainyQuote and IrishCentral. Check them out to help spread the luck of the Irish:
1. “Luck is believing you’re lucky.” — Tennessee Williams
2. “Being Irish is very much a part of who I am. I take it everywhere with me.” — Colin Farrell
3. “That’s what the holidays are for — for one person to tell the stories and another to dispute them. Isn’t that the Irish way?” — Lara Flynn Boyle
4. “Love is never defeated, and I could add, the history of Ireland proves it.” — Pope John Paul II
5. “Every St. Patrick’s Day every Irishman goes out to find another Irishman to make a speech to.” — Shane Leslie
6. In heaven there is no beer. That’s why we drink it here!
7. May the luck of the Irish be with you!
8. There are only two kinds of people in the world, the Irish and those who wish they were.
9. Lose an hour in the morning and you’ll be looking for it all day.
10. Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
11. Better good manners than good looks.
12. You’ve got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your father was.
13. Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.
14. Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbor. It makes you shoot at your landlord — and it makes you miss him.
15. May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past.
16. I complained that I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.
17. Life is like a cup of tea; it’s all in how you make it!
18. May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
19. An old Irish recipe for longevity: Leave the table hungry. Leave the bed sleepy. Leave the bar thirsty.
20. May God bless and keep in good health your enemies’ enemies.
21. If God sends you down a stony path, may he give you strong shoes.
22. May the Good Lord take a liking to you ... but not too soon!
23. Always remember to forget the friends that proved untrue. But never forget to remember those that have stuck by you.
24. May the blessings of each day be the blessings you need most.
25. May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
26. “Here’s to a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one/ A pretty girl and an honest one/ A cold beer — and another one!”
27. “When money’s tight and hard to get, and your horse is also ran, when all you have is a heap of debt, a pint of plain is your only man.”
28. “When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let’s all get drunk, and go to heaven!”
29. “May your home always be too small to hold your friends. Here’s to me, and here’s to you. And here’s to love and laughter. I’ll be true as long as you. And not one moment after.”
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella