Dominique Strauss-Kahn’s scheduled court appearance has been postponed as prosecutors mull whether or not to dismiss the charges against the former IMF chief in what is amounting to a crumbling sexual assault case.
Strauss-Kahn will appear in court on August 1st instead of July 18th as previously set by Justice Michael Obus of State Supreme Court in Manhattan.
We hope that during this time, the district attorney will make the necessary decision to dismiss the case against Mr. Strauss-Kahn, defense attorney William Taylor said.
Prosecutors met with defense attorneys last week but Erin M. Duggan, the chief spokeswoman for the Manhattan District Attorney’s office said “no decisions have been made,” after the meeting.
While the case is being delayed, prosecutors contend their decisions haven’t been changed.
Obus released Strauss-Kahn on his own recognizance on July 1 after he had been under strict house arrest.
During the July 1 hearing, prosecutors said they had uncovered significant issues with the credibility of the Sofitel chambermaid who accused him of sexually assaulting her on May 14th.
Kenneth Thompson, the lead attorney for Dominique Strauss-Kahn's accuser, has asked the District Attorney to step down from the case which he believes has been mishandled, and wants a special prosecutor appointed.
District Attorney Vance, we ask in earnest that your office voluntarily recuse itself from the Strauss-Kahn case and that you appoint a special prosecutor, Thompson wrote.
The accuser allegedly considered financial gain and engaged in relationships categorized as questionable with a drug dealer.